News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Amtrak

Started by Edward2, May 19, 2010, 11:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: Emster on May 26, 2010, 12:18:36 AM
Bachmann should make the Genisis locos (is that even what they're called, because i forget the real class). They would be really nice.

I would LOVE to see Bachmann do a Genesis locomotive, in all phases, or atleast phase 5. Athearn's aren't the best, but alright. I have a review of mine on youtube. 
Also, they were also called P-40's and P-42's mainly, but there were some others I can't name at the moment. :)

hobo1

I would love for bachmann to remake the metroliner set in their spectrum line. also athearn makes a great running p42 (own 2 of them) . They should they invented the drives everyone else uses in their locos.

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: hobo1 on May 26, 2010, 04:29:34 PM
I would love for bachmann to remake the metroliner set in their spectrum line. also athearn makes a great running p42 (own 2 of them) . They should they invented the drives everyone else uses in their locos.

Are you talking about the newest run of the Phase 5 ones?  If so, there's just one stupid design I hated.  As I was running it, during the first 10 minutes while I was breaking it in, I stopped it and lifted it off the tracks, and the gear box clip on the back truck randomly fell out.  At the time, I didn't know what it was, so I decided to take off the shell.  I hadn't known that there was a small piece of plastic by each of the ladders, and when I took off the shell, it tore off all of the ladders.  It's bad enought that the gear box clip fell out on its own, but the clip is doing nothing there.  It doesn't hold the shell on at all, it's just a waste in my opinion.  Now, I'm not saying it's a bad product, and that Athearn is terrible, just that the plastic piece is serving no purpose.
It is a great runner, but the plastic piece is just a nuisance.

Joe323

This Highlights the problem I have with Athearn Locos.  They aren't bad products (they run great) but the shells seem too fragile at least for me.

I would love Bachmann to put out a Metroliner Set in PC Logo

jward

the p40 and p42 diesels are already made by athearn.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Guilford Guy

Quote from: Edward2 on May 20, 2010, 10:28:50 AM
Superliner cars and the mail coaches need to be on the Bachmann line. Dining cars should be included too. Dash 9 style Amtrak locomotives should be added to the HO scale Bachmann list.
Maybe if Walther's was not already making Superliners, Mail Cars, and Dining Cars Bachmann would consider doing them. The Amtrak B40-8WH's have been done by Atlas AND more will be arriving in November.
I'm a proponent for a revised Metroliner though. The tooling must still exist?
Alex

mlrr

I think it's important that Bachmann not re-invent the wheel when it comes to Amtrak models.  So far they've done an excellent job releasing models such as:

E60
Metroliner
Acela Express
HHP-8
Phase V and later amfleet coach and cafe cars *

I put an asterisk next to the amfleet cars because I'm not a big fan of them nor am I impressed with the paint jobs.  Also keep in mind that walthers also produces these cars (I think Bachmann was first though)  The older Bachmann tooling was a bit more accurate but lacking bulkhead details.  I'm not a fan of the re-tooling.

Unless other manufacturers got it COMPLETELY WRONG, it's not necessary to duplicate what's already available on a continual basis unless they were to significantly step up quality and features.  I see no need for Bachmann to re-produce superliners when Walthers has metal plated superliners with interiors in every paint scheme that these cars have shown up in.
~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com

jettrainfan

Emster, I think the class your talking about is a P42DC. They use them on trains like the lake shore limited and the capitol limited.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

atari

I'm considering an E60CP and am interested in getting some matching cars.

First, what is the difference between these two engines (Phase II vs Phase III)? Does anyone have the E60CP? How is it? Are there any areas of concern?

Second, I've read some concerns over the 85' Amfleet but cannot tell if people are unhappy with the performance of all or just certain Phases.

So, any clear recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jward

the "phases" you hear everybody talking about are the different paint schemes amtrak has used over the yeara, phase one being the original "bloody nose"
i believe phase two was the one with the large  black numbers on the side, above the red white and blue stripes. phase 3  had smaller numbers centered on those stripes. not sure which paint phase 4 was, but phase 5 is the current one with the dark blue "wave" along the top of the locomotive, and the huge blue numbers on the side.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA