News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turntable

Started by full maxx, December 20, 2010, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

Using an old LP record...what a clever idea! Old LPs can be had at any Goodwill or Salvation Army for pennies (not to mention all those old LPs some of us have stored in the basement). A step further would be to procure an old turntable (inoperable of course). The LP could be glued to the turntable and hand rotated into position.

Another option is to purchase the Atlas turntable, raise (and enlarge) the deck and install a larger length piece of track. [The turntable deck needs to be raised in order to clear the motor housing.] The turntable could then be 'lowered' into the layout surface - allowing one to utilize the excellent Atlas indexing mechanism. I suppose the new sub deck could be an old LP.

'Just a thought to stimulate discussion,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

rogertra

Best turntable I've ever owned is the Walthers "Ready Built" 90 foot 'table.

Once you've figured out what the instructions really mean it works like a charm.  Indexes perfectly every time, without fail.

Pricey, yes but well worth it.

The 90 foot 'table takes every size of GER steam locomotive from the 4-6-0s right up the to 2-10-2s.  The 4-8-2s and 2-10-2s are a tight fit but as the roundhouse where the 'table will be located on the new GER won't be used for servicing and or turning "main line" steam it's perfect for branch line, way freight  and commuter power that will operate out of the new station and yard.  The roundhouse will service a collection of 4-6-0s, 2-8-0s, 2-8-2s and 4-6-2s and, of course, the yard engines.

What the 90 foot won't take is a two unit diesel locomotive but that's OK as many a steam era 'table had the same problem and as the GER doesn't own any 'B' units, diesels are always m.u.ed tail to tail so there is always a cab leading.

full maxx

Quote from: CNE Runner on December 23, 2010, 11:50:25 AM
Using an old LP record...what a clever idea! Old LPs can be had at any Goodwill or Salvation Army for pennies (not to mention all those old LPs some of us have stored in the basement). A step further would be to procure an old turntable (inoperable of course). The LP could be glued to the turntable and hand rotated into position.

Another option is to purchase the Atlas turntable, raise (and enlarge) the deck and install a larger length piece of track. [The turntable deck needs to be raised in order to clear the motor housing.] The turntable could then be 'lowered' into the layout surface - allowing one to utilize the excellent Atlas indexing mechanism. I suppose the new sub deck could be an old LP.

'Just a thought to stimulate discussion,
Ray
you were reading my mind with the old record player....I need to make it a little bigger so any future engine will fit w/o complication...
rog  .... you have my couriosity about the 90 footer that will fit a 2-10-2...will look into it
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

rogertra

Maxx.

My 2-10-2s are not Spectrum models so I don't know if an unmodified Spectrum 2-10-2 will fit on the 90 foot Wathers "Build Ups" turntable.

My 2-10-2 were kitbashed from "President's Choice"  (re-branded IHC 2-10-2) Christmas promotion "train sets" sold by a Canadian supermarket chain that trades under various names across Canada.  I replaced the odd looking IHC tenders with Spectum Hicken tenders that I converted from oil to coal and also removed one water course ring which shortened the tender by about four scale feet.  I also did some other kitbashing to the locomotives to get them to look unique to the GER.  I also converted them into two subclasses by varying the details, something I frequently do with my GER motive power so as to obtain the effect of the larger steam fleet than I really have.

I've attached two photos.  The top one is of a 2-10-2 so that you can see the changes I made.  The second is of a Spectrum heavy 4-8-2, which is about the same length as my 2-10-2s showing how it just fits onto the 90 foot 'table.  Note that the heavy 4-8-2 has had it's tender swapped and now sports a medium (I think) tender and not the long one it came with.  I replace all the long tenders with shorter ones, usually swapping them with people on this board.  Right Gene?  :-)

GER No. 783 a GER 2-10-2 arriving in Granville Junction.

GER No. 732 a Heavy Mountain on the Granville Junction turntable: -

full maxx

you have really short drawbars....looks very good tho...not saying we will ever own one but would like to build a turntable big enough to handle the big boy....just incase
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Joe323

Dont really need it but building that CD turntable might be good for turning my switchers around May try it for fun.

jbsmith

jbsmith

found this by accident, a 130 foot turntable,,looks SWEET!

http://cchobbies.com/hoscale/structures/walthersturntable.htm

more from Walthers website
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2850

rogertra

Quote from: full maxx on December 24, 2010, 01:27:05 AM
you have really short drawbars....looks very good tho...not saying we will ever own one but would like to build a turntable big enough to handle the big boy....just incase

Maxx

Yes, I close coupled all my tenders as I had handlaid track with a minimum 28" radius.   The next GER will have a minimum 30" radius or greater curves.  Even with the 28" curves I was having some problems with close coupled  full length passenger cars equipped with diaphragms.  A minimum30" radius should, hopefully, cure that problem but I will conduct some tests before I begin major construction on the new GER

Merry Christmas.

rogertra

Finally found a photo of a GER 2-10-2 on the Walther's Build Up turntable.  You can see it's a tight fit even with the tender shortened by one water tank course.  About four scale feet: -

jonathan

Roger,

Really enjoy your 'art work'.  Thanks for sharing the shots, and your talent.

Regards,

Jonathan

Craig

Quote from: jbsmith on December 24, 2010, 01:17:03 PM
found this by accident, a 130 foot turntable,,looks SWEET!

http://cchobbies.com/hoscale/structures/walthersturntable.htm

more from Walthers website
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2850

I have that turntable and it is fantastic. I happen to have a brand new bridge for the Walther's 130 turntable, if anyone is interested. It is complete with a drive. I don't see me kitbashing anything with it because I lack the talent.