News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sound Systems

Started by mudhen, December 19, 2010, 02:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudhen

Besides Phoenix, who else makes sound for the K-27. Having a second K-27, I would like to have a different sound in it.
Thanks in advance

armorsmith

Mudhen,

To the best of my knowledge, Phoenix is the only manufacturer to make a sound bite for their card that is K-27 specific. And this sound bite was supposed to have been taken from the 464 on the Huckleberry RR in Michigan.

I suppose any good steam sound card would work, but then I am sort of a purist.

Bob C.

mudhen

Carl Linkenhoker

Dallee Electronics sell a K-27 sound card

az2rail

QSI also has sound cards for the K-27.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Kevin Strong

Sierra made a K-27 sound chip, too. They're not the easiest to come by, but they do show up from time to time. It's similar to Phoenix's K-27 sound set. Depends on what you want by "different." The whistle is very similar. Chuffs and bells are going to be a bit different. Personally, I'd just look at Phoenix's other K sound sets. They're similar to Phoenix's K-27 sound, but the whistles are different. Prototypical for Ks, but different.

Later,

K

Jon D. Miller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOSPSHfuoqI

This is a link to a short video of a Dallee sound system in a Connie.

Listen to it and then decide if you'd want this "Quality" of sound in a K-27.

Dallee might make a K-27 sound card, but I doubt it will sound any better than the one installed in the Connie.

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Heinz D

Hi

please take notice that I've done a Sound Project with genuine records taken at the cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railway from the K-27 befor the gear was brocken.

The Sound Project is working on the Zimo DCC sound decoder family. I spent is K-27 project for free download. You'll find on www.zimo.at look on the sound data base and scroll down to the country USA and you'll find a lot of US Sound Projects for this top of the world DCC decoder.

I've done a lot of US Sound Projects: Heisler, Climax, Forney, Mogul, C-16, Teapot engine, Falks Gipsy engine - inclouding the sound of the winch, Logging Mallet, simple Articulateds, US Streetcar, Genesis and these weeks I'm still reworking my records taken by the yosemite Moutain Sugar Pine RR on my digital audio tape, for a museumquality Shay sound project for the Zimo DCC deocder. You'll get them all Wood Burner, Coal Burner and Oil Burner. But one highlight you should hear. It's the coldstart of my sound for the Bachmann Davenport - you'll get tears in the eyes about this winding starter engine...

The new generation of Zimo Sound Decoders will help you for engines from N to G-Scale, working on DCC and on DC too. The sound will start by the low limit of 3 Volt on track.

The decoder has a connector for cheap capacitors from Radioshack. You don't need expensive recharchable batteries which arriving the end of lifetime after some years. Most people changes to batterie and RC controll because they don't like a stopping engine by every little dirt on track. The capacitors are fullcharged in seconds not in hours and they have no problem if you don't charge for a long winter-time. Capacitors helps you to overrun dirty parts on track or plastic frogs with not a good conductivity of 4 to 8 inch length with the power from the capacitor. If you are stopping the engine and the decoder detect no voltage on track the engine will coast just voltage is back in the wheels.
Most impresive Test: My trackpowered Bachmann Climax with the Zimo DCC truesound and capacitors inside was running over a white letter laying the long way over the tracks, with slow motion speed, without any interrupt of motion and sound. But I was seeing 2 dark strips of the dirty wheels on the white paper.

Don't forgett this decoder has 4 connectors for servo to controll live steam engines too, using the sound of the prototyp. But you can use the servos too for opening the couplers or opening the waterhatch or swinig the bell. The Smoke generator electronic is installed on the Zimo Decoder and I've programmed all the values for connecting the heat resistor and the fan motor, to get your exhaustchuffs like the real thing. The price for them all is not more as for every another Sound Decoder.

I'm a modellrailraoder since I was a boy, but I'm a sound designer of Zimo too. If you remember PFM - that was my idea of a true sound.

Have fun
Heinz
www.sound-design.white-stone.ch

glennk28

I think I have a QSI in one of my K-27s--I have the one that originally went to Model Railroad News as a review sample.  John installed the sound--I do not have DCC--I activate the sound with an MRC "Black Box"   gj