News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switch Problem

Started by Kris Everett, December 23, 2010, 09:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris Everett

the magnet net that changes the direction on a switch or turn out extends but dosen't retract?is there anything i can do to get it to work again?

Joe Satnik

Dear Kris,

Your words "...get it to work again" tell me it was working before. 

My guess is an intermittent/bad terminal on one end of the green (turnout controller to turnout) 3 wire cable. 

Try disconnecting, then flipping over, then re-connecting, one of the connector ends of the green cable.

Let us know any changes in operation.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Kris Everett

did that before i posted and still nothing

Joe Satnik

Dear Kris,

Does the turnout throw smoothly by hand?

Strip the ends on two single wires, then connect the end of one wire to one of your power source terminals, and connect one end of the other wire to the other power source terminal.  Call the wires A and B.

Unplug the green cord from the turnout.

There should be 3 terminals visible.  Call them 1,2 and 3, left to right. 

Touch A to 1, B to 2, report any action/inaction.

Touch A to 2, B to 3, report any action/inaction.

Manually move the throw to the other position.

Repeat the 2 "touch" instructions above and report.

Thanks,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Your (both A and B simultaneous to complete the circuit) "Touches"

should be for no more than 1 second, let it cool off for 10 seconds before next touch.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Kris Everett

yes it move easily by hand.

ok for the first test A1 B2 moved it

next test A2 B3 nothing no movement

manually move it A2 B3 nothing

do A1 B2 again moves it but dosent go back

Joe Satnik

Dear Kris,

Thanks for your report.  

I have bad news, though.    

The coil between terminals 2 and 3 of your twin coil solenoid is open.  If it is under warranty, return it.  

If there is no warranty, you could try to take it apart and see

if the coil wire leading to the back of terminal 3 is broken, or

if 1 of the 2 coil wires leading to the back of terminal 2 is broken,

then re-solder it.

If you can't see a broken terminal wire, (break inside the coil), you would have to replace the entire dual coil structure.  

I don't know if they are easily/commonly/cheaply replaceable.  

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik  

Kris Everett

how long are the warranties normally on switches like 30 days? if that's so than ya its way out of warranty.

ill see what i can do. if i have to ill just buy another one if i really need 2   

Kris Everett

Ok i found out that its the black end that's messed up. not the switch YAY!!

however i need to know what type of push button switch to get so that i can still use my turnout any ideas on that? and how would i connect the wires from the turnout to the push button switch?

Kris Everett

:) well we will see how many more probs i can have with this tonight

Joe Satnik

Dear Kris,

People sometimes will replace a Bachmann slide-momentary-push turnout control switch with an Atlas #56. 

Same function, but screw terminals.  Just strip the wires and wrap around the screws. 

Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas !

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

Joe323

Dear Kris,

People sometimes will replace a Bachmann slide-momentary-push turnout control switch with an Atlas #56. 

Same function, but screw terminals.  Just strip the wires and wrap around the screws. 

Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas !

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

Joe:

Does that improve the swiches performance I have intermitent problems with turnouts not throwing (even though they sound like they are getting power, And I suspect the slide switch may be the culprit (or the green wire ends as Kris said).

jward

if your switch motor buzzes but doesn't throw it could be one of two things. first, checque to see that the motor isn't jammed or tight. it should easily throw by hand.
if that's not the issue, then your switch motor isn't getting enough current to throw it. adding a capacitor dircharge circuit to the circuit could help this problem. the capacitor discharge unit should go between the power supply and the switch control box, and if you are running one off ac you must add a diode to one of the power supply terminals to convert ac to dc. the capacitor will store a dc charge, and release it when you push the button. it is an instantaneous high current shot that should throw your motor.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Kris Everett

that's cool ill look into that atlas thing but the compasitor things sounds really cool also but i know that i have more then enough power it was just the black end that was messed up :)

Kris Everett

ok so i bought a center off switch to replace the old control box and got it all working

Warning!! BE CAREFUL THE WAY YOU CONNECT YOUR WIRES TO THE SWITCH DONT GET ANY SHORTTS (yes i know i spelled short wrong) Have Fun!!

radio shack cat. number for switch
275-709