News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switch Problem

Started by Kris Everett, December 23, 2010, 09:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Satnik

Dear Kris,

I suggest you replace your Radio Shack switch with an Atlas #56 as soon as possible.

Most train shops have them, either brand new, or used but still functional, in a spare parts drawer or box of old track.   

With the RS switch, if anyone else comes in your train room, or you forget to re-center, your expensive turnout will be ruined.

A nice feature of a slide-momentary-push switch is that (when everything is working and you are operating it correctly) the last position of the slide tells you which direction the turnout is set.  Not so with the RS.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

JerryB

Kris:

It sounds like you bought a 'maintained contact' switch. You really need a 'momentary contact' switch.

Your 'warning' is not going to prevent accidental positioning of the switch, thus burning out the point motor. The correct 'momentary' switch is lots cheaper and easier to install than a new turnout.

Also, you really shouldn't be suggesting that others get the incorrect switch. Changing your link to a 'momentary contact' switch would be a good idea.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Kris Everett

ill see if i can find one.

and ill look into the atlas switch but for now the switch i got will work until i get some more money.

im going to get rid of some old copper tomm so ill have some money then :)

thanks for the info :)

Kris Everett

ok i updated the thing about the switch

the new switch is just what everyone ordered and its functional.

:o ;D :o ;D :o ::) ::) 8) 8) ::) ::) :o  ;D :o ;D :o