News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Balwin Loco #6 info required

Started by Dave R, December 27, 2010, 03:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave R

I received a Bachmann model loco for Christmas, but with no info, brochure or instructions, I need help.

It is a G-gauge, with the number 6 prominently displayed. On the shield on the side, it says "Baldwin Locomotive Works, Pennsylvania" and carries the number 3972 and year 1876. The tender is inscribed B. & L. R.R. The train itself has 4 large main wheels (2 either side) and the 4 "steering" wheels in front. It is possibly a "Spectrum" unit as it was made in China. The boiler is blue. It was sold as a G scale American 4-4-0 locomotive. As far as I understand - which is very little - it is DCC compatible.

Basically, can anyone tell me more about this train? When was it manufactured? Is it still available? Is it worth anything? I'd love to know its history e.g. where did it operate etc. More importantly, I need an instruction/service manual, a controller and a transformer (I live in the UK which runs on 240 volts). Where can I get these?

As you will gather, I've no experience or knowledge of these trains and doubtless will be returning to this forum many times over. To anyone reading this, I hope you had a great Xmas and have fantastic New Year!

Dave R

the Bach-man

Dear Dave,
You have a Spectrum 4-4-0, an excellent locomotive. MSRP in the US was $800. Bachmann UK should be able to supply a manual and give advice about a power pack available on your side of The Pond.
Merry Christmas!
the Bach-man

Dave R

Guys

Have just woken up - its 8a.m. here and have read both replies, yours Bach-man and yours, Hunt. A huge thanks. Now I know its a Spectrum 4-4-0, I can get a controller etc. Hunt, the history was brilliant and more importantly, I know now how to lubricate the train. Mind you, I'd still like to get a manual for completeness.

Cheers
Dave R