News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newbie needs help

Started by daxdog, December 26, 2010, 09:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daxdog

When we were decorating for Christmas this year, I pulled out the HO trainset my father built for me for the Christmas when I was 6.  Now I have a grandson and want him to experience having model trains.  He absolutely loved watching my old train go around the tree.  

For Christmas I received a Digital Commander set (2 engines).  I set it up on the floor and plugged it in.  The first engine worked great.  The second engine caused the stop and #1 lights to flash rapidly on the controller while making rapid chirping sounds.  I worked for at least 30 minutes unplugging/replugging tracks and controller.  I reprogrammed the other engine and anything else I could think of to get it working.  I discovered that when the lights flash like that, there is a short.  Could the engine be causing the short?

I do have a second question.  Where can I find some sort of dummies guide to HO model railroading?  I don't know things like the difference between #5 and #6 turnouts or what additional items I need to get a turnout to work with my DCC controller.

Thanks in advance for any help.

OldTimer

For "how-to" books, check you local hobby shop book department.  There are a number of books by Carstens (the Railroad Model Craftsman folks) and Kalmbach (the Model Railroader guys).  Here's a link to Kalmbach's on-line book store:

http://www.kalmbachstore.com/modeltrains-railroading.html

and this link will take you to Carstens on-line book store.

http://carstensbookstore.com/

Hope this helps.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

jward

try this web site:
http://ezbizwebsite.com/index.htm

he does a good job of explaining how things work and how to make them work better, with an emphasis on reliability that you won't find in the published books and magazines. he is not afraid to ditch the "conventional wisdom" in favour of other methods of doing things that may be simpler and work better.

there's also this page:
http://www.nmra.org/beginner/
from the organization that sets the standards in model railroading.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

daxdog

Thanks for the links.

Any ideas what could be causing the probelm with the locomotive that is acting like it is shorting out the system?

Joe Satnik

Dear DD,

I usually let this board's DCC experts answer these types of questions, but til they get their keyboards, I'll give it a shot.   

Assuming it is a hardware fault, (not a DCC programming fault, such as both locos set to the same address), there are many different internal faults that can short out you loco.

I assume it is under warranty or within an exchange/return time period.

I would try to exchange it. 

How curious are you?

If you know someone experienced with DCC, or better yet,  someone experienced with DCC receiver installation,

ask them if they would look at it and offer you advice.

I would offer more detailed troubleshooting (short hunting) advice, but it would require that you own and know how to use a Volt-Ohm meter. 

Every model train hobbyist should have a Volt-Ohm meter, (AKA "multi-meter" or "digital multi-meter" DMM). 

Harbor Freight (a discount tool chain-store) has them pretty cheap,  sometimes as low as $2 with coupon.     

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

bobwrgt

What type of engine are you having trouble with?  Steam or diesel?
What model? 
If it is steam you may have a set of tender wheels turned around and causing the short? If they swivel 180 degrees check them out.

Bob

NMWTRR

Looking at your original post. I think you have two diesel locomotives. Suspect they are an FTA and a GP unit. Which one is causing the short?

While you wait for Bachmann to call back you might want to turn the engine over and look at the wheels. Try moving them a little back and forth see if it there might be anything bridging between the wheels and causing a short or there may be soemthing not letting the wheels rotate. Something may also be physically binding the motion.

This sort of trouble shooting is frustrating on a new product but after solving one or two of these items, you build more knowledge on how things work, it can be very satisfying when you are able to fix something on your own.

There are lots of experts here who can provide help but more info describing the problem will help them help you.

Hang in there  :)