News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Light kits for DC passenger cars?

Started by The Great Destroyer, June 10, 2007, 01:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Destroyer

Hey all,
After some digging I finally landed some C-C N&W passenger cars.Any ideas on some lighting kits?I was told to do LED lights but I thought those were for DCC I'm still on DC if anyone has some advise please help me out.I would greatly appreciate it.
                                                      Respectfully,Destroyer
"That moble suit is too much for any one man to handle,if he could,he would be superior to the entire human race."

fieromike

Quote from: The Great Destroyer on June 10, 2007, 01:39:30 AM
Hey all,
After some digging I finally landed some C-C N&W passenger cars.Any ideas on some lighting kits?I was told to do LED lights but I thought those were for DCC I'm still on DC if anyone has some advise please help me out.I would greatly appreciate it.
                                                      Respectfully,Destroyer

I can't help you with a specific kit or circuit (maybe Richmond Controls?), but go with the led lighting.  A hot incandescent bulb can make quick work of melting a plastic roof, while leds stay at a safe temperature and draw less current.

Mike

The Great Destroyer

I'm planing on doing the LED thing.I just got to figure it out.Electric and wires are not my strong point lol!
"That moble suit is too much for any one man to handle,if he could,he would be superior to the entire human race."

taz-of-boyds

If you have any trouble finding the web sites:

-   http://www.richmondcontrols.com/
-   http://www.ngineering.com/

For the circuit, you need to set up basically a bridge rectifier to see that the voltage is always applied to the LED in the proper polarity, the reverse voltage tolerance of LED's is not that great either.  I have tried to attach a diagram**.  It also shows the current limiting resistor you will need to prolong the life of the LED.  :)

Happy wiring,
Charles

** attachments does not seem to work, will need to setup some photo hosting thing...

GlennW

You can check out Kato light kits. They have 2 types, 1 for DC, the other for DCC.  For CC cars, you may need to do some conversion to get power thru the trucks & into the car for the light kit. Old MR & MRC issues may have ideas for kit items to get.