News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G scale 2-4-2T Lyn

Started by R. May, December 26, 2010, 06:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R. May

When will this locomotive be available in american hobby stores?
Randy

Peter O

Randy I believe is referring to the reissue of this model which was projected to be available in December 2010 but has not yet arrived.

Peter.

R. May

Peter is on track,
its the new issue of the 2-4-2T that we were told would be released in Dec.2010,
Randy

Peter O

As the end of March 2011 nears, is there any update on the arrival of the much anticipated new Lyn?

Mike M

Bachmann told me it would be here in June
Mike

Bucksco

A production sample will be available for examination this weekend at the East Coast Large Scale Train Show in York, PA.

doug c

Been surfing for a review of the 2-4-2 (#91197 range) !

According to my GR index binder, it was written up by GR Oct 2011 (?) but that is one I did not pickup sporadically after closing down subscription.

Anyone else do a online review of this unit ? 

Alas George S.  went into semi-retirement regards his 'Tech' Tips',  previous to this newer unit being rolled out.

thanks,

doug c
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

Loco Bill Canelos

Doug, 
I seem to recall that someone reviewed it at Mylargescale.com.   I do not have one but a friend does and loves it.  Runs very strong is a robust unit and has great detail. Although not Spectrum it is a great looker!!!

Also check out the following great review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5vKYQUNllM

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

doug c

Thanks Bill for the info.   

The info' video that  LSOL  did up back in Nov'11 is nicely done and informative.

The mls.com thread that popped up from feb'14   basically hi-lited (summary of  lsol final statement) new upgraded model is a big improvement and many recommendations to acquire if it the loco is the type a railway has a place for...
http://forums.mylargescale.com/24-product-reviews/28537-old-bachman-spectrum-2-4-2-lyn.html   

Thanks Joe for the (print) review !

hmmmmm ;) maybe take advantage of a recent email advert'd sale price to acquire a smaller steamer  !?

nite,
doug c

doug c

tac

With very few minor discrepancies, this is a beautiful model of a much-loved prototype loco on one of the most picturesque, bucolic and much-missed of any NG railway in the British Isles - the Lynton & Barstaple Railway in North Devon.  As its history has been endlessly documented, and the line us undergoing an almost unbelievable revival, with brand-new locomoties as well as coaching stock, I won't dwell on that.  Instead, I'll mention the difference between the old and the new versions, both of which I have on my shelf.  The older version built to a different scale, and is a mechanically-crumbling ruin, although the paint, even after fifteen years, is remarkably good.  I've got nothing more to add to that.

The newer version, that fits in just fine with the 16mm [1/19th] scale rolling stock from another company, is a nigh-on faultless model in most respects that nobody would take to task unless they had the live-steam version to compare it with.

Sadly, I don't have that, but I know of three folks that do.

I haven't seen the US version, but since I'm only familiar with the real thing in green, I'd just note that even here it yUK it represents remarkable value for money.  IMO two passenger cars are just about right, except that nobody I know makes anything to suit.  The 1/20.3 J-S cars are ludicrously over-sized for what is a two-foot gauge loco prototype, and Bachmann's own cars of this type are not only too small, but ar totally of the wrong design.

You'll have to build your own, modelled on the Maine two-footers.

Loads of luck with that.

If you find one in green or black - buy it.  If you don't I'll prolly beat you to it.  Add a suitable sound system and some batteries and r/c, and you're good to go.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

doug c

tac;

Thanks for your input !  I'm still balancing on the fence....

"...you find one in green or black - buy it.  If you don't I'll prolly beat you to it..."
would ya like me to send ya PM, of the shop that is selling them right now !?

"...The 1/20.3 J-S cars are ludicrously over-sized for what is a two-foot gauge loco prototype, ..."
darn I was looking over my shoulder and thinking they would be okay to run behind it  vs lounging on a top shelf for another decade in the computer rm....
But then to I'm no scale modeler (definitely don't run my trains, with the truck to chassis screw removed, like the 1:1s by design...)  Sooo I could maybe get-away-with-it !  ;)     

How about 1:32 or :29,  or would they lud' under-sized :)

sincerely,
that doug c

. . .definitely going one way or the other, no fear of impaling oneself  !

Tony Walsham

hi Tac.
I doubt they are different scales.
I believe the boiler mouldings are the same.  The current model still has the internal mouldings to mount the original motor block.
Have you actually sat them side by side to check for size difference and done a thorough measurement comparison?
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

tac

Hi, here, T!  Well dimensionally there is little difference - the main difference is that the new mouldings are far superior to the older model - not only is eveything crisper/sharper, but the new version has different buffer beams/couplings, and loads and loads of rivets.  I re-modelled the roof hatch on my first model as it was very crudely-done - looking more like a model from 1950's Hongpan than 1990's production.  The new model is much sharper and finer in every detail and less 'blobby'.  The mechanism is far superior, as is the modelling of the valve gear, although it is is 'Stephenson' and therefore disarmingly simple.  Mine starts to move [very smoothly, too] at less than 2V.

The new model is a genuine joy to behold, whether running or on its display track.

Best from up here.

tac
OVGRS.org

Tony Walsham

Agreed it is a way superior model to the first one.
To my eye the main boiler and cab mouldings are the same, but with added details.
In other words it is essentially still 1:22.5 scale, just like the original.

I have converted quite a few now to battery R/C.  They run superbly.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).