Plasticville built-up Dairy Barn in HO Scale?

Started by rgongleski, December 27, 2010, 03:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rgongleski

I recently purchased the subject item from eBay.  It arrived today, and my first impression was that it was way too large for HO scale.  Comparing it with other Plasticville HO buildings that I have, confirmed that it was indeed an O Scale item, not HO scale.  I rechecked the Bachmann Plasticville catalogs again, and the item # was correct for the product.  It is also listed as a building kit in the O Scale section of the catalog.

Why is Bachmann marketing an O Scale item as HO Scale?  This reminds me of the HO and O Scale Independence Hall (aka Town Hall) situation.

Jim Banner

How big is a barn?  I mean a real one, not a model one.  I know a woman with a pet goat who has a barn about the same size and shape as my garden shed, about 8' x 8' x 6' high.  A couple of years ago, I helped build a barn, about 60' x 100' x 25' high.  These are both real world, working barns.  The smaller one would be about an inch square by 3/4 inches high in H0.  The larger one would scale out at about 8" x 12" x 3.5" high in H0. The smaller barn is unusually small but the larger one is not remarkable in my corner of the world.  And unlike houses, the heights of doors and windows in a barn give little or no clue as to its scale.  I suspect this may be one occasion where a building could conceivably be used in multiple scales and still be in scale in all of them.

For the record, how big is your barn, in real world inches?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rgongleski

Jim, the actual size of the barn is 6" to top of silo, 5" to top of roof.  The main (front) barn doors are 2" tall.

This is not a barn that can be used in multiple scales.

Bob

93firebird

I agree, I just took a closer look at this barn today, and it does appear to be a larger scale. The split door off to the side would be way too big for any livetock to be hanging its head out of if the livestock were ho scale.

jbsmith

living in a mostly rual area myself,,barns are not just for livestock.  Tractors and other equipment are also stored in barns during the winter months.
Have you ever seen the size of a corn or wheat or hay harvester tractor? Some those things are Huge!
then there is the other equipment

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/FR/category/FR_COMBINES.html

All kinds of different barns.  Livestock barns. Horse barns, Dairy barns, pig barns , egg farm barns fulla chickens,,
hay barns, equipment storage barns,show barns at the county fair ,and so on

Doneldon

rgongleski -

I think your barn is HO. A six-inch silo would be roughly 43 feet tall.
The roof, at five inches, would be roughly 36 feet, and you two-inch
doors would be about 14.5 feet. These numbers are all in scale for HO.

-- D