News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Old Time Passenger Cars

Started by Bojangle, June 11, 2007, 12:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bojangle

There are hundreds of passenger cars available, but none that interest me.  I am looking for the 1860 - 1890 variety.(including work cars)  Mantua has some, but they are hard to get, and I don't know anything about their quality.  When I see an RTR for $8, I get a little suspicious.  According to their site (Model Power), they are switching over to knuckle couplers, don't know if the pockets will accept Kadee or Accumate, or if their wheels are metal. 
I would prefer UP or D&RGW (but not the "bumble bee".) I have enough clerestory roofs with my Bachmann ON30 sets,  (Roaring Ridge & Colorado Southern) so the 1860 would be best.  I'm a terrible painter so I just want brown wood.
Anyone know of any sources?   These cars must not be popular. 
Mr Bachmann:  Any chance of Bachmann  coming out with the vintage cars in HO?

Bo

pdlethbridge

if you can find them ( e-bay ), round house used to make old cars, both freight and passenger

SteamGene

I have some Mantua freight cars and their coupler pockets accept Kadee very easily.  The wheels are plastic, but easy to exchange.
The MDC kits are very easy to assemble.  You might want to invest in a combination light, magnifier.  That can really help.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

TwinZephyr

If you want old time flat roof passenger cars then your options are pretty much either go with the Mantua cars, cut up and rebuild another style car or scratchbuild your own.

Mantua's old time models were originally designed several decades ago and they don't come close to the quality most model railroaders expect today.

Except for Roundhouse and a handfull of Bachmann or Mantua pieces, the model train manufacturers have abandoned the pre-1900 market.

Bojangle

Glad to hear the Mantua will accept Kadee couplers.  The two cars I need  (combine and coach) are mostly for display, so I can live with the plastic wheels.   Mantua has a set, lettered Pennsy, but would be easy to paint that out since it is on the smooth part above the windows. 
Seems my choices are limited, as I had expected , so will order the Mantua when they are available.   The vintage cars might make a comeback,they seem very popular in ON30. 

I have a lighted mag gooseneck that clamps onto the bench, works great.
Thanks for the replies.
Bo

Woody Elmore

If I recall correctly, the old Mantua/Tyco passenger cars had talgo type couplers. The old Mantuas usually had metal wheels and a very thin axle.

If you want some cars and are not too interested in exact detail you might be able to find some of the Tyco cars which are basically a cheaper version of the Mantua cars.

I once saw a modeller who had repainted a consist of Tyco old timers. He had replaced the trucks, added some details and used brass dummy couplers body mounted under the steps between the cars. He operated it as a unit and didn't feel the need to have working couplers between cars. The paint job minimal detailing made the cars nice models.

japasha

Woody,

On the older Mantua trucks with the small diameter axle, I have been substituting Intermountain wheelsets successfully. You just have to remember tehy are polarized. The Mantua Old-time cars were usually sold with the General. Passenger and frieght versions.

Don't forget that AHM had a line of old timer cars for their Reno and Genoa 4-4-0 locomotives. These also turn up at swap meets.

Woody Elmore

I'm dating myself with this reply but at one time Con-Cor (remember them?) had HO replacement wheels and axles, They were rp-25 and metal and worked great as replacements for Mantua and Tyco axles. They used to sell them by the bag!

The MDC Old Timers were nice for their time but are probably a little dated by today's standards. I remember the AHM line. I used to have a string of AHM watermelon cars that I relettered for the ACL.

I started in HO with Ambroid B&M passenger car kits - I still have the first three cars I built - complete with Central Valley trucks and the old first run non-magnetic Kadee couplers. They are crude by today's standards but I enjoyed building them.

Woody Elmore

Checking Ebay today I came across a Mantua old timer combine and coach. I assume that these were the last run before Model Power took over. There was also a drover's caboose available (basically the combine with a cupola). These cars may be put back into production by Model Power and should be available if you look around.

rikc9

Quote from: Bojangle on June 11, 2007, 09:14:15 PM
Glad to hear the Mantua will accept Kadee couplers.  The two cars I need  (combine and coach) are mostly for display, so I can live with the plastic wheels.   Mantua has a set, lettered Pennsy, but would be easy to paint that out since it is on the smooth part above the windows. 
Seems my choices are limited, as I had expected , so will order the Mantua when they are available.   The vintage cars might make a comeback,they seem very popular in ON30. 

I have a lighted mag gooseneck that clamps onto the bench, works great.
Thanks for the replies.
Bo
Some years ago I removed the horn hooks on my Overton cars and installed Kadee #5s. The cars looked ridiculous, kind of like a little boys wearing his fathers shoes. The #5s are oversize. I switched over all my rolling stock and engines to Kadee old time couplers. They look and run quite well.
Actually link & pin would be more appropiated for pre 1890 but you have to enjoy pain to use those. I have a work train with link & pin.

rikc9

Woody Elmore

Checking the Model Power website, I see that the former Mantua Old Time passenger cars are available for $10.99. They also have the old time freight cars that Mantua/Tyco used to run with the old time ten wheeler. Keep the Model Power list price for a factory new product in mind if you go hunting on Ebay.

I think that Trainworld offers Model Power products.

MrMunchkin

I picked up 4 of the Model Power ones up at a yard sale last year for $15 and body mounted Kadee couplers with no problem, I also have one of the old Ambroid kits that has not been built (it's actually a Northeastern but it's the same kit), how hard a kit is it? one of these years I might work up the courage to start it. P.M.

Woody Elmore

The old Ambroid B&M cars (actually made by Northeastern for Ambroid) weren't all that difficult. Shaping the roof ends is the hardest part. They assemble easily and the instructions were always first rate.

If you tackle a kit this old you may find some of the strip wood is brittle and won't easily accept glue. The castings and other detail parts are definitely poorly detailed by today's standards. I've seen the cars built using Grandt Line parts.

Main Line models makes some really nice HO wood passenger cars as well as old time freight cars. Parts are laser cut and the details are first rate. If you like wooden kits I'd try one of these and put the old Ambroid car on Ebay!

Woody Elmore

In my last posting about HO passenger cars, the company I was referring to was La Belle. They have made some really nice passenger equipment over the years and the new owners are upgrading the kits. Main Line also makes nice kits but I really don't think they have any passenger cars.

MrMunchkin

Thanks Woody, I could always build it as an old rotted out hulk near the tracks.  P.M.