News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Old Time Passenger Cars

Started by Bojangle, June 11, 2007, 12:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bojangle

I've been "digging" for months, finally struck gold.

During a recent vacation (2000 mile round trip), I visited as many train shops as I  could find.  One small shop had over 200 MDC Roundhouse kits, I found some sets of 34' Overton cars,  Southern Pacific, Rio Grande, and Santa Fe.  The sets include  Combine, Coach, Baggage, Post Office, Wells Fargo, and Business Cars.     

They are great kits, I feel very fortunate to have found them.  I didn't glue the roofs on, plan to try detailing interiors.  I switched  the couplers to Kadee #148, perfect line up with the Kadee gauge.

I can't post pictures, but look back to Paul's reply to see what they look like. 

I also found out that the MDC dies have been sold to Horizon Hobby/Athearn.  Many of their new kits  are being made with the original dies, so the vintage cars could make a comeback.  Let's hope so.   

Bo

Spule 4

Quote from: Woody Elmore on June 20, 2007, 10:06:08 AM
In my last posting about HO passenger cars, the company I was referring to was La Belle. They have made some really nice passenger equipment over the years and the new owners are upgrading the kits. Main Line also makes nice kits but I really don't think they have any passenger cars.

LaBelle cars build into very nice models with a little effort.  A friend and I have even worked on them while "on the road" for work.  Minimal tools, just the sense of working with wood.

My father has some on his layout pushing 40+ years in age!
Garrett