Is there a way to make Thomas locomotives DCC?

Started by DinoNTrains, December 28, 2010, 11:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoNTrains

Is there a way to make Thomas locomotives DCC? I ask because I saw this webpage where someone added DCC chips on Thomas, Percy, and James. Unfortunately, the page is no longer available. So, can anyone answer the topic question?

Thank you very much.
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

Bluecoatscheesypoofs

Bachmann makes DCC decoders for their E-Z command system. These will work with regular DCC too. You need to solder the appropriate wires to the motor of the engine. Hope this helps.
                              Matt Wilson

RGC

I added DCC chips to my Son's Thomas and Henry locomotives. Thomas was an easier job because he has much more room for the chip then Henry.I don't have any links, but there are a few sites that will install a DCC decoder in a thomas and friends engine for you.

DinoNTrains

Quote from: RGC on December 28, 2010, 08:11:54 PM
I added DCC chips to my Son's Thomas and Henry locomotives. Thomas was an easier job because he has much more room for the chip then Henry.I don't have any links, but there are a few sites that will install a DCC decoder in a thomas and friends engine for you.
Cool and thank you.

Quote from: jward on December 28, 2010, 05:24:37 PM
try this site:
http://www.trainbuddy.com/Reference/Decoding%20Engines/thomas.htm
Thanks

ThomasFan247

I would recommend NOT buying from Train Buddy. I bought a DCC Thomas from them and within a week it had motor problems. I sent it to Bachmann and they took a look at it. They said it was extremely dangerous, as in it could blow a power pack or something. Really, it's not the best site.

Anthony P2

has anyone put DCC in their Bill and Ben yet? if so, how did you do it?

SodorAdventures

Quote from: Anthony P2 on December 29, 2010, 06:54:01 PM
has anyone put DCC in their Bill and Ben yet? if so, how did you do it?

I did not, but I figure it will be really easy or really hard. Most likely really hard because they packed the motor in there. But easy because you may be able to fit it in the cab...  ;)
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

DinoNTrains

jward

you'd have to fit the decoder in the cab, same as with all the other tank engines....

related question, would a decoder with back emf help fine tune these locomotives? or would i be better off using a basic decoder and not trying to smooth out their throttle response?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Anthony P2

well yeah i know how to put in decoders, it's really easy (if you have a solder iron). but if anyone who has bill and ben open one of them up and see, because they have 4 capacitors in them. i don't know how someone would put in DCC, and there is some metal piece that goes around the motor..... this is really hard to explain.

DinoNTrains

Quote from: jward on December 30, 2010, 07:55:09 PM
you'd have to fit the decoder in the cab, same as with all the other tank engines....

related question, would a decoder with back emf help fine tune these locomotives? or would i be better off using a basic decoder and not trying to smooth out their throttle response?

Now that I know where to put decoders in tank engines, where would I put them in tender engines and Toby?

jward

with the tender engines you'd have ample room in the tender. all you'd have to do is run wires between the tender and locomotive. toby shoud have enough room that he'd be like converting a diesel to dcc.

as for bill and ben they make decoders about the size of a dime. surely one of those would fit.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

DinoNTrains

Quote from: jward on December 31, 2010, 02:19:26 AM
with the tender engines you'd have ample room in the tender. all you'd have to do is run wires between the tender and locomotive. toby shoud have enough room that he'd be like converting a diesel to dcc.

as for bill and ben they make decoders about the size of a dime. surely one of those would fit.....
Thanks, but wouldn't there be room in the cab or somewhere on the body of the engine?

RGC

I put the DCC decoder in the body of Henry. It was a tight fit , but I didn't use a really mini size decoder. If I was going to do it again I would go with a TCS M1 decoder.