Bachmann G Large Scale hand car with trailer

Started by TJ-Lee, January 03, 2011, 03:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ-Lee

All,

I just sent the email below to the Bachmann Parts department. However, I've been told that email is not the best method to communicate with Bachmann so I thought I ask if any of you know how to acquire replacement gears for the Large Scale handcar.

Those listed in the parts catalog do not appear to be the gears on the axles, and I have two broken gears. One on the front axle driving the animation (the car handles) and one on the rear that meshes with the worm gear. Power is only coming to the front axle and he barely drives the car.

Any help is appreciated.

Best,
TJ

==========================

Parts,

Have a recent Bachmann G Large Scale hand car with trailer.

Two gears have broken on the hand car.

One gear is on the front axle that drives the animation (the hand car handles going up and down). It is cracked and the handles no longer move.

One gear is on the rear axle and supplies power from the worm gear on the drive motor.

I see on the parts page there are three items related to the hand car.

Gears [Handcar & Trailer] - (Large Scale) #G96210 $10 - shows the two large main gears, neither of which are what I want. I do not see in the catalog picture any of the axle mounted gears, which are what I need.

Wheels w/axle [Handcar & Trailer] - (Large Scale) #G96223 - in the catalog picture only the axle is shown, not the gears that slide onto the axle.

Gearbox w/Motor [Handcar & Trailer] - (Large Scale) #G96211 - again, in the catalog picture no axle gears are shown.

Are the gears I need included with any of the three products listed above? If so which? If not, how can I get a complete set of replacement gears for the handcar short of purchasing an entirely new handcar?

Please advise.

Best regards,
TJ Lee

Loco Bill Canelos

TJ

Best approach is to call the parts dept at 215-533-1600, they will let you know if they can get them for you.  When I call they take my order let me know if they have it and ship what they have right away. I do not always get good news on some parts I want especially if the item is very old.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

MAELLIS

I don't think Bachmann will have the spares if this the early hand car with a rubber band drive from the motor to the worm gear.

I needed some as well but the spares department couldn't help. However I have repaired two of the small axle gears by carefully drilling very small holes on each side of the crack and gluing in a small piece of stiff wire which I pre-bent in a "U" shape. There is just enough clearence to allow for the increase in the width of the gear.

I have repaired some Shay gears as well and have been pleased with the result.  When refitting the gears onto the axles I opened up the inside diameter of the gears a bit to avoid cracking them again when refitting onto the axles.