News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Derailing problem

Started by Arch, December 29, 2010, 05:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arch

I'm new at this so if the answer to my problem is posted just 'point' me in the right direction.  I have a large lighted village layout and added two On30 trains this year.  One is a 2-6-0 Christmas train and the second (on a separate track) a DDC 4-6-0 freight train.  The problem is with the tender on the 4-6-0.  The rear trucks derail at various points on the loop...some on curves (22" E-Z track) but also randomly on straights.  There doesn't appear to be a problem with the track and I have rearranged cars to be sure the heaviest are immediately behind the tender.  The rearrangement actually seemed to be the solution.  It ran great for my Christmas party but has started the derail dance again.  I am out of ideas and hope someone here can help.  I have a great looking train that doesn't work.  No problem with the 2-6-0.

Thanks,
Arch

bobwrgt

You might have a wheel set on that truck where the wheels are not spread enough or spread to far. Check the wheels to see if they are all about the same distance apart. They can be taken out of the truck and adjusted.
If that checks out see if the truck swivels the same as all the others. Check the up and down motion also. You may have to loosen the screw holdng the truck on.
Let us know what you find.
Bob

Arch

Thanks Bob, I'll check that.  I have a feeling that the problem is the DDC wires from the loco to the tender, but the wheel problem makes sense too.

Arch

rrmchone

If your layout is a layout that is permanent this might help:   when i had problems trying to get the train to quit derailing in various places i took hot solder and put it over the gap where the railconnecters are and then i sanded it with sandpaper so it was even and level   and also sand the inside to     it went twice as smooth and it never derailed since.

ChrisS

Which hole on the drawbar are you using? Use the rear
Most one.
And make sure the dcc wires aren't getting hung up on the pin.

NarrowMinded

How fast are you running your loco? I just ask because a lot of new railroad owners tend to go full steam ahead, this may work out for perfect track work but it can be the source of some problems, and it's better for your loco to run it at scale speeds

Nm

jward

assuming that wheel guage is not the culprit, have you tried adding weight inside the tender? underweight cars have a tendency to derail.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Arch

Thanks guys, I'll be checking things out over the weekend when I'll have time to play.
The drawbar hole I'm using is the one furthest from the loco and the DCC wires seem to be clear although a bit stiff.  I tend to run the loco at slower rather than faster speed, but I have tried a variety to see if it matters and it doesn't seem to be a factor.  Also I have not tried to add weight under the tender.
FYI...When I finished the layout and started running the 4-6-0 it seemed okay for a short time.  Then the tender back truck started to derail just after completing a 22"R 90.  After some quick research and experimentation a rearrangement of cars with the heaviest immediately after the tender 'fixed' the problem.  A couple of days ago, as I was inspecting before running, I discovered that the pin on the tender wasn't engaged with the drawbar and the DCC wires were infact the only connection.  I reconnected the tender through the first or outer hole and started up.  Almost immediately the tender started to derail again for the first time since the 'rearrangement.'  I did try switching holes but that didn't cure the problem.  Running just loco and tender didn't work either.

Arch

The problem is definitely with the trucks on the tender.  I put another locomotive (4-6-0 like the first one) on the same track with the identical rolling stock and it runs perfectly, very smooth and strong.  A friend has an HO gauge he is going to bring over and we'll get it fixed.  Both front and rear trucks seem to have complete, free motion; I'm thinking of just replacing the entire rear truck assembly.

Thanks for your help.

Doneldon

Arch-

I'm not sure what you mean by "Both front and rear trucks seem to have
complete, free motion," but most modelers have one truck which not only
turns easily but also rocks from side to side a little and the second truck
which just pivots. The idea is to always maintain at least a three-point
stance.
                                                               -- D

Arch

I finally got to measure the wheel spacing with calipers and the rear truck on the tender is definitely the problem.  The rearmost set of wheels (4 sets on the tender) is just about 1/32 wider than all the others.  Now the question is can the wheel spacing be reduced, and how?

NarrowMinded

Take the wheel set out of the truck,  grasp both wheels firmly then gently twist while pushing the wheels toward each other, pull for making them wider.  Make sure you put them in the same way they came out, because one wheel is insulated from the axle and the other is live to the axle in most cases

NM

Arch

Thanks!!  I'll get at it tonight.