News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 guide wheel removeal

Started by BillingsRR, December 29, 2010, 07:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillingsRR

On a B'mann 4-6-0, can the front guide wheels be removed and the engine still runs? I'm modeling a specific engine, an 0-6-0 and i would like to use a B'mann. Is it easy to remove the wheels if it can be done? If not I'll just leave them there, the engine will still look good.

JerryB

It is easy to remove the front truck on the 4-6-0, but it will look like a locomotive with the front truck missing, not a model of an 0-6-0.

Compare pix of the 4-6-0 to your proposed 0-6-0 and you will see that the location of the pilot, front of the boiler, position and size of the drivers, and the overall length of the engine are probably quite different.

As to whether you will be satisfied with the result: Whatever looks okay to you is what is important.

The good news is that replacing the front truck is just as easy as removing it!

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

bobwrgt

The front wheels probably provide additional electric pick-up. If you remove them you may have a problem. On my 4-6-0 engines i have added pick-ups on the tender even with the ones on the engines.

Bob

Loco Bill Canelos

The front truck does pick up current on trackpower.  You will need to keep your track and wheels very clean, but your loco will run without the front truck.

Are you having trouble with the front truck??
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

BillingsRR

@ Bill

nope no problems with it. I actually don't even have the engine yet. From what I've heard it sounds like a lot of trouble. I will just leave them on there and pretend. Its good enough.
Thanks for all of your help!,
-BRR