Making Volcanic Rocks Using Ceiling Tiles

Started by hminky, June 12, 2007, 12:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

I have a "what I did" about my attempt to make volcanic rock formations using ceiling tiles at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/volcanic_rocks/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

hminky

Quote from: Paul M. on June 12, 2007, 09:28:11 PM
Where'd you get the ceiling tile?

Home Depot or Lowes it is the gray kind

Harold

ebtbob

Paul,

There are two basic types of ceiling tiles.   The ones that Harold uses are a stiff tile that looks very much like homasto on the back.   It is usually white on the front with many small holes in the surface.
        The second style is also white but it is like a paper attached to a yellow foam base and can be easily flexed unlike the other which will break it you try to flex it.
        I use the same thing that Harold uses to make stratafied rock walls.   All you do is score the back with a razor knife.   Then put the tile on a flat surface with the score at the edge and break it off.   This leaves a jagged edge.   Lay several pieces side by side and then,  when you do the next layer,  overlay them like brickworkers do,  not one piece directly on top of the piece underneath.  This keeps you having unrealistic straight seems in the "rock" surface.  I use Elmer's Carpenter glue to glue the layers together although you can also hot glue layers together.   After the layers are in place,  I take a small stiff bristle brush with metal bristles and brush the face of formation to sort of blend the layers together and then spray the formation with whatever color paint I need.   Once the paint is dry I back and drybrush on some aged white or CSX tan to highlight the more prominent pieces to create a bit of a shadow effect.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

hminky

Ceiling tiles do make good stratified rocks and not just one kind of rock

Visit:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/more_rocks/

and thank you if you do
Harold

jsmvmd

Hal,

I've gotta hand it to you. Beautiful work and very realistic, especially to this old rock hound. Soft rock, that is!  (Any old geologist knows the difference!)

Best Wishes,

Jack