News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 stalls on 5'D curves

Started by laxrebel, December 30, 2010, 05:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laxrebel

My 2-8-0 has seemingly a binding problem as it wants to stall out on Aristo 5'D curves when running a medium slow speed. Need to punch up the power to get it going. Engine is new, I think I have the tender drawbar at the right length, and lubed per specs. I know this is probably the minimum radius track to use, but reviews said it was OK. So will this maybe loosen up with time or do I have to tweak something?     

Loco Bill Canelos

Hunt is correct about the minimum diameter, I am amazed you are getting thru those tight curves at all without derailing. 

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Peter O

How long is your 5 foot radius section. I have two places with two sections of track but there's an 8 foot radius section before and after them. I have no problem with that.

You did adjust the coal pile on the front of the tender right? To run on less than 8 ft you need to remove it and rotate it 180 before putting it back. Otherwise the deck plate will foul it on tight curves

Peter.

bogiewuggs

I have the Bachmann outside frame 2-8-0.   A larger diameter turn always helps, but my unit can handle
180 degree, 8 ft diameter turns, with no problem.

Ron Grau

JerryB

Quote from: Peter O on January 01, 2011, 09:14:01 AM
How long is your 5 foot radius section. Peter.

"Peter O:"

"laxrebel" wrote that he is using "5'D" curves. I interpret that as meaning 5' diameter which is only a 2' 6" radius, not a 5' radius.

There is no way this locomotive will be happy on 2' 6" radius curves. I am surprised it goes through there at all.

To "laxrebel:" Take a look at Bachmann's recommended radius for the 2-8-0. Specified minimum is 4' radius, 8' diameter.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

laxrebel

I did not check any Bachmann specs prior to purchase (some years ago) but did rely on the review in Finescale Railroader of May 2002 which said it would negotiate LGB 1500 (2.5 radius) curves without modifying the drawbar. I did reverse the coal spill pile too (that was needed even on 3.5R curves per FR).  I just recently got around to taking it off the shelf and installing a decoder and putting it to work. Loco isn't really run in yet. Space in several places is tight and the 2.5R curves are not eased. If there is not a known issue then I'll just investigate further. Maybe LGB 1500 is slightly broader than Aristo? Thanks to all.