Too much lubrication...now what?

Started by NWsteam, December 30, 2010, 01:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWsteam

It seems in my first attempt at lubrication, I over did it on my HO Y6b. I lubricated about a month ago and this week it started slipping on my grade with only 6 freight cars (All metal wheels and weighted). Come to find out that the loco has started to release a bit of its spare oil. Do I let it sit so all the extra comes out? Do I run it to try and work it off? Your thoughts are appreciated.

-Brad

Kris Everett

take a Q-tip and run it over the wheels do this anytime it starts to slip use the Q-tip once per wheel and start with a new one. this will help from getting cross contamination and reapplication of oil

bobwrgt

Keep cleaning the track with a soft cloth everytime you run it and eventually it will all come off. You can also use paint thinner (mineral spirits) or alcohol to clean the track. After a month i would think most of it has run down or out.
If traction does not improve i would look for another source for the problem.

Bob

NarrowMinded

I'd just wipe off the extra oil and run it if slips do it again, personally I would stay away from electrical sprays unless you are completely sure the one you use is plastic safe.

Nm

NarrowMinded

Hi hunt, Always good to be cautious, I use a lot of electrical cleaner in my line of work, I've run across a few that claim to be plastic safe, what the don't say on the lable is... Safe for the types of plastics commonly used in electronic componients, but still can affect softer plastics,

NN

HAPPY NEW YEAR

NarrowMinded

Ok Hunt,
your right spray away, as I said I personally don't use them, as for lubes the answer is yes I don't use them unless they are made for model train use, I don't use "plastic safe" lubes from the auto parts store.

NM