Doneldon

Andy-

That looks just like what the doctor ordered unless there
is a problem with the 50 cycle Australian current as Jim
mentioned. I guess I can't think of a cheap or easy way
around that. My guess is that 50 cycle current would work
okay if converted to DC, just maybe less performance,
but I don't know if 50 cycles will screw up DCC. Does
anybody else know? (Someone surely does.)
                                                                            -- D

AndyL

I wouldn't imagine that the plug packs supplied with Australian sets would also perform a frequency conversion i.e. 240v ac 50Hz input 16v ac 60Hz output. Perhaps the EZ-Commander is tolerant of 50-60Hz so as to saleable around the world? Maybe someone from Bachmann can confirm this?

AndyL

I just found this photo of a wall pack supplied with a UK set. Doesn't mention the output frequency though.

poliss

It might be a good idea to contact the Australian online shop,  DCC Concepts. They have stand alone DCC power supplies.

mabloodhound

I was really troubled about the advice given on converting the wall outlet.   Kris is in the US and he is not learning to be an electrician in Australia.   Really bad and dangerous advice.
Glad you guys posted the warnings.   I've worked around electricity all my life but would NEVER attempt to advise someone in another country, other that the relatively safe wall transformer/converter options so well explained here.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

JerryB

Quote from: AndyL on January 01, 2011, 07:42:53 AM
I just found this photo of a wall pack supplied with a UK set. Doesn't mention the output frequency though.

AndyL:

The output frequency of that "AC - AC Adapter" will definitely be the same 50 Hz (50 Cycles) as the input. That unit should be a direct substitute for the AC Adapter supplied with U.S. sets.

The advice to check with the AUS supplier is a good one. They probably have the correct AC - AC Adapter for AUS.

Although no one here has mentioned the input frequency labeling on their U.S. set, it is most likely designed for 50 / 60Hz. That allows Bachmann (and most manufacturers) to just switch the provided AC - AC Adapter ('Wall Wart') when providing sets for use in other countries.

Does anyone here have a U.S. set like AndyL's that they can check the labeling on the Power Pack / Speed Controller? We especially need to know the listed input frequency.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Jim Banner

The alarm power supply looks ideal for the job.
- It has the right output
- It has the right plug to fit an Australian outlet
- It does NOT require the use of the wall pack that comes with the set so 50 Hz is no problem (there is no difference between the E-Z Commands sold in North America and those sold in the U.K.  The difference is in the wall pack that comes with it.)
- It can be easily adapted to connect to the E-Z Command using the small plug (and some of the wire attached to it) from the North American wall pack.

Have fun and enjoy your train.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rogertra

What the INPUT voltage is has no bearing at all on anything, other than don't mix different voltage ratings of course. Don't try and plug a 110VAC into a 240VAV circuit.

The ONLY thing that is important is the OUTPUT voltage. In this case you need, according to the photo in the previous post, a16VAC 1000mA 16VA output.

No matter what country you in, anywhere in the world all, you need to do is to find a local store that sells a wall wart that will provide those output readings, or really close to them, and away you go.

Doneldon

Andy-

Here's an excellent and local (for you) resource about electronic things and model railroading in particular:     talkingelectronics.com/   

-- D