News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

LOCOS AND TRACK RADIUS

Started by darticus, December 31, 2010, 08:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darticus

It seems my new layout is being a real pain. New to this but having trouble getting different locos to run. Is there a method to checking track for workability and why some locos don't run. Some locos hit at switch track sections. Running a light mountain and Norfolk and Western J class and having trouble. When the N&W goes into a curve it lifts up and goes off the track. I am using 11 inch radius track and 9 3/4 radius. Ron

ericw95

What type of track are you using? I was having the same issue with Atlas Code 80 switches. It appears the piece that connects the switch track (i think its called the frog) sticks up too far. Haven't found any solution yet. if you can, please let me know. I have read that the Peco insulfrog switches can be used with Atlas track and work much better so I think I'll try buying them.

ACY

The 9 & 3/4ths is a bit tight for some of the locos like the light mountain & the N&W J.

darticus

I'm using the code 80 track. Ron
Quote from: ericw95 on December 31, 2010, 03:18:00 PM
What type of track are you using? I was having the same issue with Atlas Code 80 switches. It appears the piece that connects the switch track (i think its called the frog) sticks up too far. Haven't found any solution yet. if you can, please let me know. I have read that the Peco insulfrog switches can be used with Atlas track and work much better so I think I'll try buying them.

darticus

The light mountain seems to run ok but the Norfork and Western jumps the rail all the time on 11 inch or less. Ron

Quote from: ACY on December 31, 2010, 04:09:41 PM
The 9 & 3/4ths is a bit tight for some of the locos like the light mountain & the N&W J.

rrtreerat

Any rail gaps or misalignments? The plan you show already has the 19" transition curves. Is there a particular spot on the railroad or just going into any of your curves? Which wheels are coming off the track?
One thing to check if it is all the curves is 'side to side' play of the J's drivers, there should be about a 32nd of an inch of side play in each of the 4 driver axles. After that possibly engine tender + binding.
N-Scale and Plant-N-Trak Coordinator

skipgear

The J stuggles on anything under 11 1/4" radius. The light mountain will make 9 3/4 but pulling will be very limited. Both will want to nose in the corners.

As far as derailing on the turnouts. Atlas turnouts need tuning. The points need the ends filed for the best performance. The points also need to be shimmed closer together on the #6's. Another thing to check is the gauge of the wheels. The Bachmann loco's you mention are notorious for being narrow in gauge which makes the problem worse.

Something else to look at on the J....sorry if it sounds crazy...but.....Did you remove all the packing foam from the loco? There are foam squares above each of the leading and trailing trucks when they are shipped. I've had more than one customer bring one in complaining of derailing only to find the foam still in the loco.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

darticus

The J is a problem all over the track including switches. Will do more checking tomorrow. It either throws the front wheels off or the 8 wheels jump at the rear of them. Ron

Quote from: rrtreerat on December 31, 2010, 10:32:20 PM
Any rail gaps or misalignments? The plan you show already has the 19" transition curves. Is there a particular spot on the railroad or just going into any of your curves? Which wheels are coming off the track?
One thing to check if it is all the curves is 'side to side' play of the J's drivers, there should be about a 32nd of an inch of side play in each of the 4 driver axles. After that possibly engine tender + binding.

darticus

It runs poor all over this track. will check more tomorrow Ron

Quote from: skipgear on January 01, 2011, 12:21:46 AM
The J stuggles on anything under 11 1/4" radius. The light mountain will make 9 3/4 but pulling will be very limited. Both will want to nose in the corners.

As far as derailing on the turnouts. Atlas turnouts need tuning. The points need the ends filed for the best performance. The points also need to be shimmed closer together on the #6's. Another thing to check is the gauge of the wheels. The Bachmann loco's you mention are notorious for being narrow in gauge which makes the problem worse.

Something else to look at on the J....sorry if it sounds crazy...but.....Did you remove all the packing foam from the loco? There are foam squares above each of the leading and trailing trucks when they are shipped. I've had more than one customer bring one in complaining of derailing only to find the foam still in the loco.