News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

non Bachmann trains on eztrack

Started by Techie401, January 01, 2011, 10:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techie401

I am sure this is a dumb question. I am new to model trains.  My child is very interested in them.  Can non Backmann trains be run on Bachmann EZ track?  We just got the Thomas with Annie & Clarabel HO set and I want to know what kinds of trains I can use with it.  thanks.

OldTimer

You can certainly run other brands of trains on your Bachmann EZ Track so long as the other trains are labeled "HO scale."  The one issue you are going to have is that the Thomas family of trains come with a european style hook and loop coupler that will not mate with the standard magnetically operated knuckle couplers found on the vast majority of equipment designed for the American market. 

Welcome to a wonderful hobby and Happy New Year!
OldTimer 
Just workin' on the railroad.

Techie401

thank you for the information!  Happy New Year to you as well.  I have one more question...  Does the Bachmann EZ Track connect to any other kind of track?

ACY

Not without modifying the E-Z track or the other track, but if you are comfortable ballasting your track and have cork roadbed that matches the height of the E-Z track roadbed then you can use flex track with it.

Terry Toenges

You don't necessarily have to modify the track. Just put something under the other track like ACY suggested. If it's another track with roadbed, someone makes adapters. The only EZ track modification might be to cut the plastic connector off the EZ Track whne mating with regular track.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Quote from: Techie401 on January 01, 2011, 02:13:51 PM
thank you for the information!  Happy New Year to you as well.  I have one more question...  Does the Bachmann EZ Track connect to any other kind of track?

Short answer, yes. If you don't want to modify the EZ-Track use the Life-Like "Power-Link" adapater tracks for their Power-Loc track system. Connect the adapters back-to-back and connect the EZ-Track to one end. The loop on the EZ-Track will fit in the hollow space under the adapter without cutting it off. Connect whatever other track system you want to the other end of the adapters. If connecting to Code 83 track, like Atlas True-Track, you'll need their Code 100/Code 83 Transition Rail Joiners.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

steverg

I have a similar question, one that was kind of touched upon here.  I primarily use E-Z track for my holiday display and other occasions.  I am planning on putting an extended layout up this year on a more permanent basis in my garage.  I need a LOT more track to accomplish what I wish to do.  My plan is to include two bridges (one for the outgoing track and the other for the inbound track on a dogbone setup) that are 3 feet in length each.  Only problem is one is mfg by Atlas.  Its has the curved chord bridge in the center span ("18) and two truss bridges at either end ("9 each).  I also have a single "9 plate girder bridge from Model Power (I think) and need to get three more bridges to equal the "36 of the large one. 

My problem is this...how do I attach EZ-Track to these bridges?  I tried cutting a small segment of flex track and slipping it in with the metal rail joiners to the EZ-Track on both sides and then to the single snap track for the bridge track but when a loco hit the bridge, the loco just stopped.  What am I doing wrong here?    Would it be feasible to break off or cut the clip on the end of the EZ-Track and cut underneath the track so it sits butt up against the bridge lead track?  What else can I do?

bobwrgt

I have cut off the end of the ez track flush and made room for the rail joiners. Then I solder the connections on the bridge or use one solid length of track so there are no joints on the bridge.

Bob