News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Product idea--Loco

Started by glennk28, June 10, 2008, 01:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennk28

The new RMC has a good article on converting the Bachmann HO GE 70-ton switcher to HOn3.  The resulting loco would be a good subject for an Fn3 loco, selecting a particular prototype or two to follow.  How about it, Bachmann?  This could be similar to the SP #1  gj

mp15dc

i have always said with space limits and price points, hon3 is becoming more popular. the sp#1  is a good point. as well as a centercab such as hotshot and the other 3-4 units on the D&S and EBT. a couple of these and a dozen EBT hoppers you can have a nice well detailed layout on 3x8. What Bachmann did for on30 they could do for HOn3.
Ted

Kevin Strong

I was going to say, "I haven't gotten that issue yet," but then I noticed the topic is 2 and a half years old. No wonder. I just started getting it last issue, thanks to my neice's school fundraiser.

Anyway, the "biggest" problem with Bachmann doing something like their 70-tonner in 1:20.3 is that they already did a 45-tonner, which was also a "standard gauge"-sized switcher on narrow gauge trucks (as is the prototype), and by pretty much all accounts I've heard, people said it was too bloomin' big. The 70-tonner would be about the same overall size in terms of the cab, but the hood would be larger and longer.

Having said that, I agree that something like SP#1 or other "narrow-gauge-sized" locos (i.e., one built to typical narrow gauge size--around 8' wide and 12' tall) would be interesting. The EBT's M-7 would be perfect, as you could letter it for EBT, D&SNG, and whatever industrial lines the locos served prior to that and be perfectly prototypical.

Later,

K