News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann shorter cars

Started by nnryengr, December 31, 2010, 09:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nnryengr

I'm interested in Bachmann's woodside ore car (#98570) for tighter diameter areas on my railroad. Do these cars scale out to a length shorter than 40 feet? If so, what is the approximate scale length? Thanks.

Doneldon

nn-

I have to confess that I didn't actually measure one - I'm only going from memory here - but they are about a scant foot long and therefore about 20 feet in 1:20.3 or about 24 feet in 1:24. They are actually made in 1:20.3 so they are a good deal shorter than 40 feet.
                                                                                                                                                          -- D

NarrowMinded

They measure 11-1/2" +/- a hair they are from the bighauler series which is 1:22.5 I have two of them going around my tree along with two 1:20.3 lowside 20' gondolas which measure out to be 11-5/8" +/- a hair they look great together scale is so close it's not an issue and they are running on an oval of aristo-craft track with 2' radius or 4' diameter  pulled with my 1:20.3 porter I had to add a boggie due to tail swing of the porter. They have remained coupled for over a month of 12 to 14hr a day running with out a single derail so I think they would work great for what you mentioned

NM

nnryengr

Thanks to both of you. 'Guess I'd better get a few ordered for the Spenser Gem Mines branch!