what guage trains can i runon ho scale track??

Started by gandy dancer#1, January 02, 2011, 02:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gandy dancer#1

Greetings to all in the new year:
My self and grandson are entering into this wonderful hobby together. We got our first ho scale train for x-mas. and I am reading the message board beginning to end and getting many questions answered from all of your posts. Thank youin advance. I do have one question though,what sizes or scale trains can we run on ho scale e-z track?? would possibly like to go one size larger.
M.R.BURNS

OldTimer

If you're interested in modelling over-seas railroads, there is also OO-scale.  OO's scale proportion is a little bigger than HO at 1:76, but by design, OO runs on HO-gauge track.   You can find some more info on OO here: 

http://www.hornby.com/

Hope this is helpful.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

ACY

Although On30 is 1:48th scale, it is not much bigger than HO because narrow gauge railroad equipment was not as big as standard gauge equipment in real life. There is not anything to gain from switching from HO to On30, it is harder to find, more expensive, and if you need help, you may have trouble finding a knowledgeable person locally. Unless narrow gauge is what you are looking for, stick to HO or if you want larger (and more durable) buy a Williams O gauge set.

JerryB

Quote from: ACY on January 02, 2011, 04:09:34 PM
Although On30 is 1:48th scale, it is not much bigger than HO because narrow gauge railroad equipment was not as big as standard gauge equipment in real life. There is not anything to gain from switching from HO to On30, it is harder to find, more expensive, and if you need help, you may have trouble finding a knowledgeable person locally. Unless narrow gauge is what you are looking for, stick to HO or if you want larger (and more durable) buy a Williams O gauge set.

In my opinion, ACY's assertion that ". . . there is not anything to gain in switching from H0 to 0n30 . . ." is just plain wrong.

First, comparing H0 to 0n30, there is a significant difference in the size of similar equipment, buildings and accessories. As just one example, take a look at the difference in the height of an H0 (1:87) scale person as compared to an 0 (1:48) scale person:

6' tall H0 scale person: 0.83"
6' tall 0 scale person: 1.5", or nearly twice the height.

As to ACY's further assertion about 0n30 rolling stock and accessories being ". . . harder to find, more expensive . . .", take a look at the variety of locomotives and rolling stock available here at Bachmann Trains. Then go to a major online supplier such as Micro-Mark and look at their pricing. When comparing the (very attractive) pricing, remember that the 0 scale locomotives and rolling stock are nearly twice the size of the same item in H0 scale.

For further assurance, pick up a couple of issues of the magazine Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette and look at the plethora of plans, construction articles and advertisements for 0 scale structures, rolling stock and accessories. That is just one resource, but you will find lots to choose from!

0n30 equipment is definitely modeled on narrow gauge prototypes, and is generally limited to older industrial, branch line or short line railroads. No huge diesels or multiple unit streamliners in 0n30, but if you have interest in steam engines, have limited funds and / or space, and want models that are easier to handle, build and see (ideal for both older and younger modelers), 0n30 is a great compromise scale / gauge combination.

Hope this helps.

Happy (Better Informed) RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

ACY

I have never once seen any On30 locomotives or rolling stock at any of my many local hobby shops, 3 of which only stock model railroad "stuff." Sure you can find them online, but if there is an issue or you need help there is no one there for you. Also, I am aware that the "scenery" is a good amount larger, they use regular O scale buildings and people, but the actual locomotives and rolling stock is not much larger in my opinion than HO. No matter what, HO is the most cost effective scale for model railroading. You can buy a DCC Spectrum HO loco for less than half the price of the cheapest DCC Spectrum On30 loco. Ultimately though if you like narrow gauge and logging steam then On30 is an excellent choice because the object it to do what you enjoy; not save money.

gandy dancer#1

Many thanks to all that have replied,i hope not to bother you with the many questions i will possibly have as reading the board to glean many answers. It just seems to me ho scale is quite small, was lookig for something a bit bigger in physical sze that would run on ho tracks. I think you guys have done good job in answering my question and giving good recomendations. My nearest hobby shops are in oklahoma city and amarrillo texas, 150 miles away as am located in southwest oklahoma,in the boonies so will be using on line to purchase items in all probability. Once again thanks for the help.
M.R.BURNS

Jim Banner

Quote from: ACY on January 02, 2011, 06:29:44 PM
I have never once seen any On30 locomotives or rolling stock at any of my many local hobby shops...

That is too bad.  Our one remaining local hobby shop, which specializes in model air craft, stocks 0n30 trains even though there was little narrow gauge railroading in our province.  On line, there is a plethora of 0n30 equipment available.

No matter what, HO is the most cost effective scale for model railroading.

As far as cost is concerned, real narrow gauge railroads typically ran fewer trains and those trains were shorter than trains on standard gauge railroads.  So modelling narrow gauge typically takes few cars and locomotives than modelling standard gauge, especially when you compare 0n30 or 0n3 narrow gauge to H0 standard gauge.  On my 0n30 layout, trains are typically one locomotive plus 3 or 4 passenger cars or one locomotive plus 3 or 4 freight cars plus a caboose.  On my H0 layout, trains can be up to 40 cars long although half that many is more typical.  And each train uses two or more locomotives.

But that is only part of the story.  To me, 0n30 is a scratch building scale.  I have had a great deal of enjoyment researching, designing, and building suitable buildings.  These buildings cost perhaps $1 each but provide hours of fun.  And having learned to hand lay turnouts and crossings in G-scale, my hand laid track work in 0n30, including numerous stub switches, has cost almost nothing.  In my opinion, my 0n30 is the most cost effective of all three of my layouts (H0, 0n30, and G,) both in terms of dollars per hour of fun and in terms of dollars per square foot of layout.

Ultimately though if you like narrow gauge and logging steam then On30 is an excellent choice because the object it to do what you enjoy; not save money.

While the options I have chosen for my 0n30 layout and the opinions I have expressed above may differ considerably from what others are doing and saying, it is what works for me.  And in the end, it looks like ACY and I both agree that for some of us, 0n30 is an excellent choice.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

ACY-

I'm not so sure that there isn't any advice or expertise available
to On30 modelers. Construction techniques, controls and most
mechanisms are either borrrowed from HO or at least adapted
from HO.
                                         -- D

bobwrgt

Most of my trains are HO but i have on30 under the tree this year. I have purchased several on30 2-6-0 engines (4) that are Bachmann (Hawthorn Village) for less  than $25.00 off ebay. All new and perfect. I have 4 matching passenger cars and 4 freight cars also and have not payed more than $15.00 each. My best purchase was a Bachmann 2-8-0 outside frame for $65.00 New w/warranty. Forney's have been going for less than $80.00.

I don't think on30 cost more than HO if you shop around.
There is a section on this board for on30 and you will get plenty of advice and help.

The Bachmann 2-6-0, 2-8-0, and cars i have are much larger that the same type in HO.

Bob

mabloodhound

Said by most previous posts, but On30 is DEFINITELY an option.   For you and your grandson it certainly makes sense.
AND there is a host of help both here and on other forums.   On30 is the fastest growing segment of model railroading, although HO continues to be the largest.
Take a look at some On30 items at a show or hobby shop and make your decision based on that.   All of the On30 runs on HO E-Z track perfectly.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Joe323

Said by most previous posts, but On30 is DEFINITELY an option.   For you and your grandson it certainly makes sense.
AND there is a host of help both here and on other forums.   On30 is the fastest growing segment of model railroading, although HO continues to be the largest.
Take a look at some On30 items at a show or hobby shop and make your decision based on that.   All of the On30 runs on HO E-Z track perfectly.

Agreed My Xmas trains are On30 and run find on HO EZ track.

ACY

From ebay and online dealers, you can get On30 pretty cheap, but some people prefer to give the business to their LHS or cannot buy online for another reason. In a brick and mortar shop, an On30 loco is twice as much as an HO loco of the same quality, whereas online, HO is only slightly cheaper or the same price as On30.