Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Replacement Mogul tender?

Started by Anubis, January 02, 2011, 09:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anubis

Hello all,

Just a couple of questions from an old bloke from Down Under. ;D

Why is the rear of the cab of the Bachmann 2-6-0 Mogul closed in?  Is this prototypical for the driver and the fireman to be segregated as suggested here? Or, is it just to disguise the rear of the motor?

Secondly, does anyone know where I can source a shorter tender for this loco? (A four-wheeler would be acceptable.)  The thing is a mile too long to fit on my turntable, and the Mogul certainly doesn't need such a 'mainline' sized tender when working in the hills and bush of the Great Southern Land.

I've tried all the usual internet sites with no result. The Backwoods Miniatures one that goes with the Forney conversion would be fine, but it's a little bit TOO short. And I don't want a slope-back.

(I may have to remove the pilot too, in order to get it all to fit onto my HO sized TT.)

Thanks, fellas. :)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

lvrr325

One can carefully score the cab down the sides of the center panel and remove it, after the handrail across is removed.  I did it with mine before I sold it as too large a loco for my system. 

As for the tender, all I can see is shortening it, perhaps setting the body on the frame of an HO bobber caboose - some 4-wheel tenders did use this sort of suspension arrangement. 

Or just sell it and get the inside frame 4-4-0, which is shorter and will fit easily on a 9" turntable. 

Royce Wilson

Since no one else has responded to this, I believe this was called a deckless cab. try Wiseman Model Service, he makes a short replacement tender. If you can the tender you have can be shortened and even be made a four wheel tender. If you join some of the On30 Yahoo groups then you will find where some of the folks have even made these moguls into a o-6-0T and that should fit your turntable. ;D

Royce

Jimster

You might want to look at Backwoods Miniatures for small tenders. They have a lot of On30 products for the Bachmann line.

http://www.backwoodsminiatures.com/0n3kits.htm