News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann DCC/DC decoder swap

Started by uncbob, January 03, 2011, 08:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncbob

I have several Bachmann DCC/DC steamers  that I am converting to Soundtrax Tsunami decoders

As such I have the decoders that came with the Bachmann left over

I have a BLI sound equipped but non DCC steamer

BLI instructions say it can be converted to DCC by adding any NMRA compliant DCC decoder

I swapped in the Bachmann but it does not work in DC yet when in the Bachmann it ran in DC

Any ideas of why

OldTimer

Just workin' on the railroad.

uncbob

Quote from: OldTimer on January 03, 2011, 10:28:44 AM
Will it work in DCC? 
My DCC unit hasn't come yet so I don't know but it is a DCC/DC decoder

OldTimer

For the time being, until your DCC system arrives, open up your locomotive.  Check the orientation of the DCC 8-pin plug.  The orange wire goes to the number 1 pin, and on the socket in the locomotive, the number 1 pin should be marked with a white arrow or dot or something like that. The manual has an illustration.

If the decoder plug is inserted properly, or if reversing it has no effect, try a different decoder.

Once your DCC system arrives, try resetting the decoder to its factory default condition.  You can do that by writing the value 8 to CV8.  Your DCC manual/decoder manual should cover changing CV's in great detail.  One of the features supported by CV29 is the ability to run on DC.  The default allows DC operation.  It's possible that bit has been changed by someone who had access to the decoder befor you, or even by a power surge, static electricity or a stray cosmic ray. 
OldTimer

Hope this is helpful.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.