whats the smallest dia curves for a 2-8-0 connie

Started by robertalan51, January 17, 2011, 08:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertalan51

Hi again guys,
  just installed the Phoenix sound in the connie over the weekend. So far so good. table tested it and seems to work pretty darn good. Just need to give the real test outside. The Chicago weather is just not going to cooperate tho.

What I need to know is what is the smallest diameter curve recommended for the Bachmann 2-8-0 Connie? I already know I have some 4 footers that will need to replace. Unfortunately one of the sharp curves happens to be on my 10'  wood trestle. Oh well......this stuff is what makes our hobby interesting , right? ya right.
Thanks again for everyones help. I really appreciate all of it.
Rob, ( S. sub Chicago)

Kevin Strong

The 2-8-0 will be good down to a 4' radius (8' diameter) without any trouble. I've heard folks getting it around a 2.5' radius (5' diameter), but you gotta do some work to the deck plate for it to do so. The other thing to consider is that much of the 1:20.3 rolling stock requires a 4' minimum radius, too, so I'd plan on that as a minimum. LGB's "R3" is just under 4' radius, and is acceptable in pretty much all cases if you're using sectional track, but I'd definitely not go any tighter.

Later,

K