Would love advice & pointers on he Williams line & its compatabilty with Lionel

Started by Robertj668, January 05, 2011, 11:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobrabob8

Robert,
I am not too familiar with any of the current remote control systems out now. I run all of my equipment in conventional mode. Guys like Lee and others are more familiar with DCC control systems. MTH and Lionel seem to be the big guys out there, but I know that there are others who run adds in the two big toy train magazines with DCC control systems. I would talk to people who use these systems, try them out in person on a layout, and then make a decision from there.
Cobrabob.
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

phillyreading

Cobrabob,

DCC is for trains that use D.C, like H.O. and G scale. I was told, by the co-owner of a hobby shop, not to use a DCC equipped engine on a straight D.C. only layout, the layout Must a have DCC command base.

DCS and TMCC & Legacy are for use with three rail O gauge. With TMCC and DCS or PS-2 by MTH, you don't need the base in order to run these, but you won't get all their features from the respective engines.
I don't know for sure what is used for command control in two rail or scale O.

I don't know everything there is about command control but know enough to know what is commonly used for what.

Lee F.

Cobrabob8

Right Lee. MTH and Lionel are the two big guns out there in the remote control systems for O gauge. MTH being DCS and Lionel being TMCC or Legacy Control. I prefer to run my trains in conventional mode. My layout consists of three seperate ovals and is only 8'6" x 13'10" in a "C" shape. I do not think that any of my loops are a long enough run for two trains without one being on the other's tail. And by running only in conventional mode it keeps my costs and operational headaches down. But, like I said, to each his own.
Cobrabob.
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

bobbie21921

currently MTH is now working on Producing a New Protosound Electronics board called PS3
When they start mass producing these engines  in three rail O-Gauge one of the basic things included will be DCC IF you are interested check out the New MTH Catalog on their Website and it will explain the New upgrades to their electronic boards.  Also Check out the new product review video of the 4-4-0 Empire state Express and it will tell you about the new stuff
Bobbie Emerson

Robertj668

Bobbie
Thank you for the update.I just watched the video. That is some really good news. I like that they will work with any DCC controller.

greenbox91

Hi Everyone!

I just found this discussion while wandering around looking for something else.  Hope You're all still around, it was going great.

Back on 1/5 Lee F mentioned track compatibility and noted that Lionel FasTrack and other non-tubular tracks weren't compatible with the tubular variety.  There are adapters that can make that sort of connection, but (of course) the manufacturers would rather we not know about them so we buy lots of new track.

Try contacting Nicholas Smith Trains in Broomall, PA.  They stock a lot of these adapters.  If you live in the Philadelphia area a visit to Nicholas Smith is an awesome experience.  They're the oldest Lionel dealer in the world, in business since something like 1903, but they carry most other lines too.  They have a website but it's WAY out of date (2007) and poorly laid-out.  If you're not near enough for a visit try calling them at 610-353-8585.  Most of their employees are friendly and all are true trainmen

Barb

Joe Satnik

Hi, Barb.

Welcome !

I think you'll find the board enjoyable and helpful.

Thanks for the hobby shop advice.  Seems like a lot of the best ones are on the east coast.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

GTBob

I use WbW, WbB and Lionel locos on 027 Lionel track to pull Lionel (mostly post war)and MTH freight and passenger cars with no problems.  All units couple/uncouple just fine.  They are juiced by a 59 year old post war Lionel ZW trans.  I'm very happy with what I've got.......  Just my 2 cents. :)

Good luck with your project.

Bob
"If a man does his best, what else is there!"--General George S. Patton Jr.

phillyreading

Maybe I need to make an addition to what I stated about tubular track and non-tubular track. Fastrac & Realtrax need adapter pieces(wether they are just add on ends or adapter tracks) to hook up to other types of track, wether it is tubular or other types of track.
Even K-Line's Super Streets will hook up to Fastrac with the correct adapter piece.

Lee F.