News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G scale thomas questions :D

Started by tomtomica2, January 05, 2011, 05:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomtomica2

I all i am raising money for Bachmann large scale thomas & annie & clarabel.
I also want to get the snowplough :)
But does the snowplough can go in the snow ???
& also thomas ?? I wonder cause next year i really want to get him in the snow :D
Also do the track that comes with the set can go outside ?
If not does you know good track that goes outside :S

Thanks tomtomica2

BillingsRR

I DO NOT recommend running and Bachmann LS locomotives in the snow as they are not weather proof. At Longwood Gardens, where Thomas ran in the snow for the first time this year, what they did was put the old Lionel Thomas on the track instead if risk the detailed B'mann engine. The B'mann engines are great in a nice temperature, OK in the cold, OK if you run it in a light rain, but I would not use a B'mann engine for snow duty. And B'mann's track CANNOT run outside. The B'mann track is only made for indoors. If you want to build an outdoor layout, you will need more money. You will have to buy LGB or AristoCraft brass track. And if you already have this outdoors, run an LGB or AristoCraft engine first to remove the actual snow so the B'mann engine is not damaged. You could clean the track of with a broom, which saves a lot of cash. If you really want to run Thomas outside, its up to you, but B'mann engines are not the best in fresh snow, after a day or two they run perfectly, but I would not run a B'mann engine in freshsnow, because they are not waterproof.
Hope it helps,
-BRR

SodorAdventures

Quote from: BillingsRR on January 05, 2011, 10:11:58 PM
I DO NOT recommend running and Bachmann LS locomotives in the snow as they are not weather proof. At Longwood Gardens, where Thomas fan in the snow for the first time this year, what they did was put the old Lionel Thomas on the track instead if risk the detailed B'mann engine. The B'mann engines are great in a nice temperature, OK in the cold, OK if you run it in a light rain, but I would not use a B'mann engine for snow duty. And B'mann's track CANNOT run outside. The B'mann track is only made for indoors. If you want to build an outdoor layout, you will need more money. You will have to buy LGB or AristoCraft brass track. And if you already have this outdoors, run an LGB or AristoCraft engine first to remove the actual snow so the B'mann engine is not damaged. You could clean the track of with a broom, which saves a lot of cash. If you really want to run Thomas outside, its up to you, but B'mann engines are not the best in fresh snow, after a day or two they run perfectly, but I would not run a B'mann engine in freshsnow, because they are not waterproof.
Hope it helps,
-BRR

Yeah, would not reccomend to run him in the snow. It is a large investment and if it doesnt work...
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

tomtomica2

Thank you guys :)
Well niw i know that I w'ont run it outside :)

tomtomica2

I must say he looks incredible !!!
Hes next on my list :)

tomtomica2

Also guys i am gonna remove the couplers .
&  i am gonna put chains instead !!!!
What do you think :)

Anthony P2

please don't triple post. G scale trains ARE weather proof, because they're made to go outside. it would be fine to run them in the snow, as long as you clean the track off first. James would be a nice engine to run in the snow because "....red looks so nice against the snow" ;)

JD417

@Anthony P2 not just the G scale engines are waterproof, the ho ones are too! trust me on this I've done it alot

@tomtomica2 that's what i did on mine!! it sure beats the hook and loop couplers because they look so... idk a word for this :P but the chains make them look REALLY nice

branmas

will ho scale engines be fine with ez/fake snow?

PasqualeCS96

Quote from: thomas' #1 fan on January 06, 2011, 05:06:50 PM
will ho scale engines be fine with ez/fake snow?
Yes they will just dont put alot of snow on the track then run Thomas or any engine in that matter through it trust me not a good idea. Plus its hard (well for me a least) to get the snow out of the tracks.

SodorAdventures

Quote from: Anthony P2 on January 06, 2011, 06:36:57 AM
please don't triple post. G scale trains ARE weather proof, because they're made to go outside. it would be fine to run them in the snow, as long as you clean the track off first. James would be a nice engine to run in the snow because "....red looks so nice against the snow" ;)

Im not sure. Maybe they could be ok. But I would back that up with info. And yes, please dont triple post. But thats alright.
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

BillingsRR

no the B'mann engines are not made to be run in heavy rain and heavy snow. Light rain and light snow sure, but not heavy. The B'mann engines do not have the weatherproof, or should I say waterproof, plastic/parts that LGB and AaristoCraft have. If you do wish to run them in heavy snow, don't have them run too long. Just because an engine can run outside does not mean it won't be damaged by rain or snow, or extreme heat. Go to any hobby shop that sells B'mann LS trains and ask them if B'mann LS engines are made to run in heavy rain or heavy snow. I can assure you they will most likely say no.
Hope it helps,
-BRR

Anthony P2

Quote from: BillingsRR on January 06, 2011, 07:55:21 PM

no the B'mann engines are not made to be run in heavy rain and heavy snow. Light rain and light snow sure, but not heavy. The B'mann engines do not have the weatherproof, or should I say waterproof, plastic/parts that LGB and AaristoCraft have. If you do wish to run them in heavy snow, don't have them run too long. Just because an engine can run outside does not mean it won't be damaged by rain or snow, or extreme heat. Go to any hobby shop that sells B'mann LS trains and ask them if B'mann LS engines are made to run in heavy rain or heavy snow. I can assure you they will most likely say no.
Hope it helps,
-BRR

well you don't want to run them while in the middle of a hurricane or drive them trough a pond. G scale trains are waterproof.

watch these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpIUWIrEUjo - read comments
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKbdynpyTko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3eoXy3NgLI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y48PO_WbPAU

"need i say more?"

Cheeky_ULP

G scale trains are made to withstand the elements easier.

The video comments seem to be in favor of running the trains in just about any weather.

I think Bachmann G scale track specifically isn't good to use outside though, could be wrong, but I recall being recommended a different track brand at a hobby store in Houston..!

fighter4luv

Quote from: Sparks on January 06, 2011, 11:03:46 PM
G scale trains are made to withstand the elements easier.

The video comments seem to be in favor of running the trains in just about any weather.

I think Bachmann G scale track specifically isn't good to use outside though, could be wrong, but I recall being recommended a different track brand at a hobby store in Houston..!
If they sold that particular brand, and it's more expensive than Bachmann track, then it could be that they're being dodgy. I would only take advice from someone who isn't wanting me to spend money :P