Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G scale thomas questions :D

Started by tomtomica2, January 05, 2011, 05:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: fighter4luv on January 07, 2011, 05:56:17 AM
Quote from: Sparks on January 06, 2011, 11:03:46 PM
G scale trains are made to withstand the elements easier.

The video comments seem to be in favor of running the trains in just about any weather.

I think Bachmann G scale track specifically isn't good to use outside though, could be wrong, but I recall being recommended a different track brand at a hobby store in Houston..!
If they sold that particular brand, and it's more expensive than Bachmann track, then it could be that they're being dodgy. I would only take advice from someone who isn't wanting me to spend money :P
In the world of model trains, the better quality material is usually more expensive!

fighter4luv

Quote from: Sparks on January 07, 2011, 07:10:35 AMIn the world of model trains, the better quality material is usually more expensive!
In the world of buying online, who knows what I'm paying too much for lol :P

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: fighter4luv on January 07, 2011, 07:13:02 AM
Quote from: Sparks on January 07, 2011, 07:10:35 AMIn the world of model trains, the better quality material is usually more expensive!
In the world of buying online, who knows what I'm paying too much for lol :P
That's what you do research for.

RGC

Bachmann large scale track is listed as indoor use track by Bachmann themselves

fighter4luv

Quote from: RGC on January 07, 2011, 07:16:22 AM
But sometimes that's done so that if anything does happen and it was outside, the warranty is void coz they put that text about it :P

RGC

Quote from: fighter4luv on January 07, 2011, 07:18:01 AM
Quote from: RGC on January 07, 2011, 07:16:22 AM
But sometimes that's done so that if anything does happen and it was outside, the warranty is void coz they put that text about it :P

Yes which means they are for indoor use and if you do use it outside it's now your problem.

BillingsRR

Quote from: Anthony P2 on January 06, 2011, 09:11:45 PM
Quote from: BillingsRR on January 06, 2011, 07:55:21 PM
Quote from: Anthony P2 on January 06, 2011, 06:36:57 AM
please don't triple post. G scale trains ARE weather proof, because they're made to go outside. it would be fine to run them in the snow, as long as you clean the track off first. James would be a nice engine to run in the snow because "....red looks so nice against the snow" ;)

no the B'mann engines are not made to be run in heavy rain and heavy snow. Light rain and light snow sure, but not heavy. The B'mann engines do not have the weatherproof, or should I say waterproof, plastic/parts that LGB and AaristoCraft have. If you do wish to run them in heavy snow, don't have them run too long. Just because an engine can run outside does not mean it won't be damaged by rain or snow, or extreme heat. Go to any hobby shop that sells B'mann LS trains and ask them if B'mann LS engines are made to run in heavy rain or heavy snow. I can assure you they will most likely say no.
Hope it helps,
-BRR

well you don't want to run them while in the middle of a hurricane or drive them trough a pond. G scale trains are waterproof.

watch these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpIUWIrEUjo - read comments
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKbdynpyTko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3eoXy3NgLI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y48PO_WbPAU

"need i say more?"

Yes you do have to say more. The engine in the first is an ARISTOCRAFT engine, which I've stated before is waterproof. Bachmann does not make any G scale diesels. The Aristo engines are perfect for the rain. The engine w/ the plow in the second video is also an Aristo. The engines in the 3rd video are Aristo and LGB, both waterproof. And in the 4th video the engine is an Aristo. They are all diesels, Bachmann makes not a one diesel like that. None of the engines in the video are Bachmann, they are LGB and Aristo. So the videos don't change the fact that BACHMANN engines are not to be run in the snow. The other brands are, not Bachmann. G scale engines are made to go in the snow, but not Bachmann engines.
-BRR

And the creator of this thread was talking about a Bachmann engine, not an LGB or Aristo. A Bachmann which is NOT waterproof. Get a Big Hauler and dumb a glass of water on it and tell me if it works. Then get an Aristo/LGB engine and dumb a glass of water on it and it will still run, because it is made to run in rain/snow.

branmas

Quote from: JD417 on January 06, 2011, 11:09:29 AM
@Anthony P2 not just the G scale engines are waterproof, the ho ones are too! trust me on this I've done it alot
can you post videos?

Cheeky_ULP

Thanks for the correction BillingsRR, been a long time since I took a visit to the G scale club locally, so memory slips.

Anthony P2

Quote from: BillingsRR on January 07, 2011, 01:04:48 PM
please don't triple post. G scale trains ARE weather proof, because they're made to go outside. it would be fine to run them in the snow, as long as you clean the track off first. James would be a nice engine to run in the snow because "....red looks so nice against the snow" ;)

no the B'mann engines are not made to be run in heavy rain and heavy snow. Light rain and light snow sure, but not heavy. The B'mann engines do not have the weatherproof, or should I say waterproof, plastic/parts that LGB and AaristoCraft have. If you do wish to run them in heavy snow, don't have them run too long. Just because an engine can run outside does not mean it won't be damaged by rain or snow, or extreme heat. Go to any hobby shop that sells B'mann LS trains and ask them if B'mann LS engines are made to run in heavy rain or heavy snow. I can assure you they will most likely say no.
Hope it helps,
-BRR

well you don't want to run them while in the middle of a hurricane or drive them trough a pond. G scale trains are waterproof.

watch these videos:

"need i say more?"

Yes you do have to say more. The engine in the first is an ARISTOCRAFT engine, which I've stated before is waterproof. Bachmann does not make any G scale diesels. The Aristo engines are perfect for the rain. The engine w/ the plow in the second video is also an Aristo. The engines in the 3rd video are Aristo and LGB, both waterproof. And in the 4th video the engine is an Aristo. They are all diesels, Bachmann makes not a one diesel like that. None of the engines in the video are Bachmann, they are LGB and Aristo. So the videos don't change the fact that BACHMANN engines are not to be run in the snow. The other brands are, not Bachmann. G scale engines are made to go in the snow, but not Bachmann engines.
-BRR

And the creator of this thread was talking about a Bachmann engine, not an LGB or Aristo. A Bachmann which is NOT waterproof. Get a Big Hauler and dumb a glass of water on it and tell me if it works. Then get an Aristo/LGB engine and dumb a glass of water on it and it will still run, because it is made to run in rain/snow.

First of all it doesn't matter what brand the engine is beacuse g scale trains are made to be run outside. And I tried that little experiment of yours it worked. Then I ran it in the snow....so yeahm I tried it with my set I got last year for my birthday.

Doneldon

I think the best policy is to consider all electrical devices as limited to dry conditions only. I don't suppose the neighborhood would burn down if some water got into a garden railroad loco and shorted it but I know it would be an unfortunate experience for the loco and its owner. I'm not sure why someone would like to be out running trains in the rain in the first place, though I can see that it would be fun in the winter, especially if you had one of those little rotary snowplows! Overall, I'd say don't run trains in the wet, though light snow may not be too harmful, and never leave model railroad equipment exposed to the elements. As for Bachmann track, it'll be fine outdoors as long as you take it up after every operating session or replace it once a month. Sorry, folks, but it's not UV resistant so sunlight will rot it faster than a kid eats ice cream. And that's a fact, not an insistant but erroneous opinion!
                                                                                                                                                                 -- D

RGC

Quote from: Anthony P2 on January 07, 2011, 04:53:04 PM
Quote from: BillingsRR on January 07, 2011, 01:04:48 PM

Hope it helps,
-BRR

watch these videos:

"need i say more?"

-BRR

First of all it doesn't matter what brand the engine is beacuse g scale trains are made to be run outside. And I tried that little experiment of yours it worked. Then I ran it in the snow....so yeahm I tried it with my set I got last year for my birthday.

Only some of the G scale trains I have looked at are listed as waterproof. My local dealer told me some are waterproof and other are not "waterproof"  but are ok in a "light" rain, but not a heavy downpour. If the Bachmann G scales are waterproof and since this is the bachmann forum it seems to me someone from bachmann would have stated that here by now.

JD417

Quote from: thomas' #1 fan on January 07, 2011, 03:48:37 PM
Quote from: JD417 on January 06, 2011, 11:09:29 AM
@Anthony P2 not just the G scale engines are waterproof, the ho ones are too! trust me on this I've done it alot
can you post videos?

i guess i could make a vid of it i'll just bring back my waterproof trains series which was cancelled after episode 2  :-[ (but on my own decision)

BillingsRR

I apologize for "digging up" this thread, but a while ago I was talking to a major Garden Railroader an he said "The new Bachmann models are more reliable in the snow then the old." So Thomas should be fine. I've always gone by the rule of not running the older ones in rain/snow since they may die, but the new ones seem to be just fine. Now I am sorry I dug this up, but I just talked to him the other day. And scine a major snow is supposed to hit the east coast tomorrow, which it has already started flurrying tonight(YAY!  ;D) you can spend your snow day running your trains.
-BRR

EDIT: And a user on youtube, gardentrains, did exactly what you wanted to. He put the snowplow on Thomas and had him plow the line. It looked really good.

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: BillingsRR on January 24, 2011, 07:37:21 PM
I apologize for "digging up" this thread, but a while ago I was talking to a major Garden Railroader an he said "The new Bachmann models are more reliable in the snow then the old." So Thomas should be fine. I've always gone by the rule of not running the older ones in rain/snow since they may die, but the new ones seem to be just fine. Now I am sorry I dug this up, but I just talked to him the other day. And scine a major snow is supposed to hit the east coast tomorrow, which it has already started flurrying tonight(YAY!  ;D) you can spend your snow day running your trains.
-BRR

this sucks I live in australia so we practically never get a snow day were I live (or were I'm going to be moving after tonight  >:( :( :o