News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Amtrak e60cp derail issue

Started by ericw95, January 05, 2011, 11:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericw95

Hey guys, i am trying to set up a small layout for two steam locos and an amtrak e60. I am using atlas code 80 track and am having problems with the switches. At every right turnout, the e60 works great when going straight through them. However, when it switches, the wheels appear to slip right through the catch and it derails every time. This is an old loco, so i am thinking maybe the wheels could be out of gauge somehow (it does, however do the left turnouts fine). I believe i have found the problem: the piece that attaches the switch track to the control is plastic and seems to be easy to bend. Any suggestions on a fix? Also, do peco insulfrogs have the same issue? Thanks for any help.

ericw95

I just compared the axel length of the e60 to my steam locos (both bachmann) and the e60 appears to be slightly wider. I think this is a 2000 train set, so did a change occur in track gauge? I dropped the hobby when i was 9 a few years after getting that set, so i kinda forgot alot over the last 7 years.

bobwrgt

The track gauge hasn't changed but your wheels might be out of gauge. You will have to adjust them so they are in gauge. The gauge is the distance between  the wheel flanges. Best to get a NMRA gauge to check them with.
If your other engines make the switches OK then i would look to that engine first before i start to mess with the switch.

Bob

ericw95

I checked my wheel gauge and it was fine, so then i looked up problems with atlas switches and easy fixes. An article recommended rounding off the edges of the switch track itself and it worked perfectly. Thus far i have not had any derailments. Thanks for the suggestions anyway though i didnt even know there was something to check wheel gauge haha