News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Automated turnouts

Started by Keusink, January 03, 2011, 07:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keusink

The set I am building has reverse loops with AR-1 auto reversers. The reverse loops are part of the mainline. You can't let the train just run, you have to throw the turnout every time the train enters the loop. Is there a way to have the turnout automatically switch after the train enters the loop?

Otherwise, you really have to keep active throwing turnouts. Sometimes its nice to be able to watch the train go round and round without having to do anything.

I have considered alternatives to the reverse loop such as a connecting track; not possible because of elevation and grade changes.

Chris

trainman1248

its a little expensive but you can look into some of the information in this post

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,15230.0.html

NarrowMinded

I used some magnetic alarm switches on a layout that worked well the one before the switch would throw it right the one leaving the switch would throw it left, they worked great as long as you run at scale speeds through the turnout switch. The wiring is simple  connect the common as usual then one wire from each alarm switch to aux power the other to the terminal the controls the way you want the switch thrown. This won't work on slowmotion machines, fir that you have to add a latching relay.

Nm

Doneldon

Keusink-

You can also use light detectors concealed
between the rails to throw your switches.
Just wire them in parallel with your "manual"
remote controller.
                                      --D

trainman1248

could you give us either a website or a diagram to use just a basic one if you dont mind would help a bunch. thanks

tman

Joe Satnik

Hmm,

What about spring loaded turnout points?

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

NarrowMinded

I think with the light sensors between the rail you would have to space them far enough from the Points that when the loco exits the loop it does not trip it again before the end of the train. with the magnetic N.O. alarm switches you just place them on oposite sides of the track, with the magnet mounted to one side of the loco you dont have that issue.

I will draw up a simple diagram and post it

NM

Keusink

I would appreciate the diagram of the light sensors wired in parallel with the throws.

The turnouts are driven by tortoises, and controlled by DPDT's. Spring loaded won't work with the tortoises.

The expense is not particularly important, but simplicity of installation and then operation is.

I observe that the change in direction must go either way. If the train enters the through route, the turnout must switch to the diverging route before the loco returns. If the train enters the diverging route, the turnout must switch to the through route before the locomotive returns.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I am not able to see how to wire the light sensors in parallel for both through and diverging ways; there are only two wires between DPDT and the tortoise motors. I am not sure that this can be done?

You are great guys for helping me with this. Wonder what Jim Banner thinks. Jim, are you there? ???

Chris

Keusink

PS; The set goes up and down from the garage ceiling by hoist, so the site referencing the computer driven system can't be applied to this set with practicality.

WTierce1

If the auto reverse moduals put out DC and your tortise switch machinews run on 2 wires and DC, from what I would think you could put some type of relay that is timed to let current flow for as long as the switch machines need current, you would only need to run the tortice wires through the relay then to the output on the auto reverser(s). Because then If the current polarity from the Auto reversers change then it should switch the switcher. I'm not sure if it works that way though.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad