News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reversing Loops

Started by ejseider, January 05, 2011, 06:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejseider

I notice that there is quite a bit of discussion on reversing loops.  I'm using Bachmann EZ Mate track.  Is there a way to insulate one side of the loop from the other?  If so, how can it be wired so that the engine keeps running in the same direction when it crosses from one side to the other?

ACY

Insulate both rails at the point where the reversing loop/section begins and attach an automatic reversing module right after that point.

jward

it should be noted that the autoreverse unit acy mentioned will only work on dcc. the solution  for regular dc trains is to wire a seperate reverse switch for just the reversing loop itself. this really needs to be drawn rather than described, perhaps somebody knows a link that shows how this is wired?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

EJ - I have used a Digitrax Power Management Module PM42 (used in my case for a Peco Electrofrog crossing on a DCC-powered layout) and found it very easy to wire into the layout's circuits (instruction are included). If your layout is DC, Atlas makes a nifty little controller that is a breeze to hook up AND comes complete with directions (Walthers #150-220 on sale for $8.98).

In summary: There is a product for just about any application on a model railroad. Good luck.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

ejseider

OK, I'm a novice at this.  How do you insulate both of the rails?  I looked in Backmann's catalog and didn't see anything that could be used to insulate sections of track from one another.

trainman1248

atlas has some plastic insulators that you replace with the old rail joiners cheaper than some of the other thing on the market

or you could use the insulated gap track by bachmann just undo the clips on the bottom and you have and insulated gap

Doneldon

ej-

The easiest way to insulate both rails on EZ Track is to carefully
cut across both rails with a razor saw or metal cutting disk in a Dremel
tool. Many modelers put a thin piece of plastic in the kerf so subsequent
movement of the rail doesn't cause the rails to contact one another in
the future.
                                                                                -- D