Tsunami Sound decoder installation into a Gas Mech

Started by lostcreekrr, December 28, 2010, 05:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostcreekrr

Does any one have information about the fitting of a Tsunami TSU 750 sound decoder into a Gas Mech. I have one fitted and whilst the sound is very good the loco stops and starts especially when moving over frogs and rail joints. It was getting hot and shutting down, that has been fixed by hard wiring the decoder and fitting a heat sink. It now runs much better but still nowhere as it should. My track is ME code 83 and very clean. I have run my new DCC equipped Gas Mech on the same track and it runs like a Swiss watch over all frogs and rail joints. I am at a loss as to the problem. Can anyone help?
Thanks

NarrowMinded

Double check your pickups sound like one or might be dirty or not contcting hard enough

Nm

ebtbob

Good Morning,

The Tsunami 750 is the micro Tsunami.   It is a known fact that the 750 has a tendency to overheat,  thus the engine will run irratically.    I work partime at Lin's Junction in Lansdale, Pa and both Paul and Karl,  who do the repair/installation work say that the 750 must be mounted using silicone caulk.   I do not understand all the issues of this installation so I suggest that you call the store on a Friday after 10am eastern time and ask to speak to either Karl or Paul for more info.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

ebtbob

I guess it would help if I included the store's phone number.

215-412-7711
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

lostcreekrr

Thanks lads for your input. As it is going to be 40 degrees C here in Melbourne Australia today I will not be venturing out to the layout to try your suggestions. Maybe tomorrow.

Steve Magee

Why (specifically) a Tsunami 730? I fitted a micro ESU to mine, cut out the fake radiator grill and replace it with fine brass mesh and the oval speaker that came with the ESU sits up against the opening. Seal it with Blu-Tack, load what ever sound file you want in it - I use a Caterdpillar sound file - and it sounds great.

For pick up, remove the cover plate, wheels and pick up assembly and solder some phosphor bronze strip (from Slaters) to form track sliders (which will be hidden by the skirts behind the counterweights) and most, if not all, your pick-up woes will be gone.

And keep your rotten 40 deg days in Melbourne, its moved up here today, thankfully only mid 30's :-)

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

lostcreekrr

Good news my Gas Mech now runs as good as it should. I was told by a hobby shop not to fit the capacitor, bad mistake. The one supplied with the sound decoder was installed and hidden in the cab under a 44 gallon drum yesterday and it fixed my problem. So the decoder is now hard wired to the motor has a large aluminium heat sink and the capacitor and working very well.
Thanks to those who have made suggestions.
Rod

NarrowMinded

Yikes! I wouldn't take any more advice from the shop... :P

NM