News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

low power on dc when dcc is used

Started by Mr. C, January 07, 2011, 03:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. C

I have a 44902 dcc command system that is hooked into a dc 44212 power pack suggested by bachmann to run dcc & dc at the same times.Problem is when I run them together they both slow way down. Is a$300.00 5amp booster needed to operate efficiently?

WTierce1

Do you mean hooking a seperate D.C. controler to it?
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

ACY

If you are running sound locos then you may be drawing too much and need a booster, because sound and regular DC locos draw more than a newer DCC non-sound loco.

Mr. C

yes thats what bachmann said to do in the dcc instructions

Mr. C

Jim Banner

Mr. C,
You can alternately run a dc locomotive on address 10 if you do not have the 44212 dc power pack hooked up to your E-Z Command.  Then the dc locomotive and the DCC locomotives both draw power from the E-Z Command's wall power supply (wall wart.)  If you have the 44212 hooked up, the dc locomotive and the DCC locomotives  both draw power from the 44212's wall wart.  There are two advantages of using the 44212 - it gives you a completely separate CAB (speed and direction controls) for the dc locomotive and it allows address 10 to be used for another DCC locomotive.  Having the 44212 hooked up does not provide any more power for operating the trains.  Normally the wall warts for the 44212 and the E-Z Command are identical and interchangeable.  Is it possible that yours are different?

Quote from: ACY on January 07, 2011, 06:12:10 PM
... sound and regular DC locos draw more than a newer DCC non-sound loco.

ACY,
I am not sure what you mean by "regular" locomotives.  A dc locomotive that is converted to DCC by adding a non-sound decoder will not draw less current.  If anything, it will draw slightly more to power up the decoder.  Are you perhaps referring to older train set locomotives with less efficient motors than those used these days?
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ACY

Quote from: Jim Banner on January 07, 2011, 08:38:39 PM
ACY,
I am not sure what you mean by "regular" locomotives.  A dc locomotive that is converted to DCC by adding a non-sound decoder will not draw less current.  If anything, it will draw slightly more to power up the decoder.  Are you perhaps referring to older train set locomotives with less efficient motors than those used these days?
What I am saying is that if you have an old DC loco (with an inefficient motor like you said) it usually will draw more current than a newer loco that is equipped with DCC, at least this has been my experience. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Mr. C

Quote from: Jim Banner on January 07, 2011, 08:38:39 PM
Mr. C,
You can alternately run a dc locomotive on address 10 if you do not have the 44212 dc power pack hooked up to your E-Z Command.  Then the dc locomotive and the DCC locomotives both draw power from the E-Z Command's wall power supply (wall wart.)  If you have the 44212 hooked up, the dc locomotive and the DCC locomotives  both draw power from the 44212's wall wart.  There are two advantages of using the 44212 - it gives you a completely separate CAB (speed and direction controls) for the dc locomotive and it allows address 10 to be used for another DCC locomotive.  Having the 44212 hooked up does not provide any more power for operating the trains.  Normally the wall warts for the 44212 and the E-Z Command are identical and interchangeable.  Is it possible that yours are different?
The wall warts are exactly the same,( numbers are identical) Could I use a 5 amp wall wart to correct this problem?

ACY,