News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Time for a Plastic CPR Royal Hudson

Started by NYSW3614, January 07, 2011, 08:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYSW3614

I have been very satisfied with Bachman steam, and I have noticed that be it either a NKP/C&O/PM 2-8-4, a Southern 2-8-0, or a SP 4-8-4, Bachman has produced models of engines that survive and even have operated in preservation.  In encourage Bachman to consider a CP Royal Hudson in plastic.  Potential models include those representing them in original service, royal service scheme, preserved engines, BC scheme, and even the Southern scheme a la 2839.  Consideration for the tender could include either a coal or oil bunker as has been done with the 4-6-0s.

Just my thoughts- Happy New Year!

Jim Banner

Having seen how they sell in brass, a plastic Royal Hudson would surely be a success.  I am not so sure about the choice of tenders though.  If memory serves, all the Royals were built with oil tenders.

It wouldn't be much of a stretch to imagine most of the castings being used to build models of the Selkirks as well.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

bobwrgt

I could sure go for some Canadian steam. I have several of the IHC offerings but could use some with more correct detail.
How about some enclosed cabs.

Bob

NYSW3614

Ok, I have re-read again the August 1969 TRAINS magazine on these wonderful locos.  There are three classes of streamlined Hudsons, the H-1 c-d-e.  They are all extremely similar in dimensions and wheel diameter; it looks exact actually.  The last five, the E class, were built with oil tenders.  Some of the C and D were were converted to oil when they were transferred to the western provinces.  Looks as if the only other changes were the application or not of the crowns on the running board and changes to cowling around the stack- most noticeable the numberboard placements.

Again, it seems as if a nice easy and popular model.

Joshua

richg

A big If,  if this ever happens, it will not be exactly what you want. It will be "based" on some Hudson prototype.
Some of the Bachmann steamers do not completely represent the prototype with the identical road name and number. They are "close" depending on how many rivets you like to count.
I have some Spectrum Steamers.
My newest is a Spectrum 4-6-0 NYC, 1233 road number 63 inch drivers and I have some photos of the NYC 4-6-0's with road numbers that are somewhat close but I do not count all the rivets. The Spectrum 4-6-0 is used to represent different roads. From what I see so far, the NYC 4-6-0's had 69 inch drivers.

Right now business relationships between the USA and China are on the rough side. For those who are not aware of it, all this Bachmann stuff is made in China.

Rich

Doneldon

Suzy-Q -

One of the Royal Hudsons came through Minneapolis a number of years ago. What a beautiful piece of machinery! The railroad routed it on a virtually abandoned track through a public park which was great because it was easy to get close and take good photos. It must have been a nightmare for the engineer, though; many people were all over the track just a few feet from the moving loco and even trying to jump on. It scared me to watch that even though I jumped more than a few trains myself as a youth. Mostly we'd hop freights or into the steps at the ends of the passenger cars. What could we have been thinking?         
                                                                                                                                                                               -- D

rogertra

Quote from: bobwrgt on January 07, 2011, 11:00:35 PM
I could sure go for some Canadian steam. I have several of the IHC offerings but could use some with more correct detail.
How about some enclosed cabs.

Bob

IHC NEVER made a Canadian steam loco.  Like most manufacturers, they just stuck a Canadian road name on a stock model and that doesn't make it Canadian.  I freelance because there's almost NO accurate, affordable,  non brass Canadian models out there, steam or diesel.

An American diesel, with "Canadian Pacific" or "Canadian National" lettering doesn't make it a Canadian model, just a stand in.

Pacific Northern

A number of years ago, BLI did a CN engine.

Once in a while one of these scarce engines comes up for sale on d-bay. I am not sure how close to prototype it was, but if BLI did it once, perhaps now with "pre-ordering" a part of life BLI could be approached to do another engine such as the Royal Hudson.

Canadian Hudson (built exclusively for HobbyCraft of Canada)   
041 Canadian Hudson 5700  $    599.99 
042 Canadian Hudson 5701  $    599.99 
043 Canadian Hudson 5702  $    599.99 
Pacific Northern