I Need Some Opinions on my Layout Plans

Started by TheJJ, January 08, 2011, 09:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJJ

Now for my layout....its just starting. :-\ 1st) I plan on buying Tidmouth sheds. I don't know if I should I buy 2 expansion packs or enough to fit all my trains in (that would be 8 packs) thus making 12 all together. My idea so far is to get 2 to make 7 sheds for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and Emily. Then buy separate mini sheds (that hold only 1 to 3).
2nd) Should I focus on buying more engines or more rolling stock?
Your opinions would gladly be taken into consideration.

BillingsRR

From my experiences with model trains, I suggest getting all of the track, sheds, and other must have things first. Then buy more engines are rollingstock. And after that start buying trees, stations, houses, etc.
Hope it helps,
-BRR

TheJJ

Ok that does help. I have plenty of track and not one shed so I will get Tidmouth and put off the engines and rolling stock until later. Thanks ;D
But now I do have another question I got some money from my uncle (late Christmas card) and I know I will have enough money for another engine (and Tidmouth). Should I get Bill, Ben, or Spencer?

BillingsRR

Which of the three do you like the best? Would you be getting both Bill and Ben or just one of them. If you get just one, I like the Bill and Ben over Spencer. I would save up until I had enough to buy both at the same time.
-BRR

TheJJ

That is probably the best thing to do...yeah I think I'll wait. Thanks again for your opinions.

TheJJ

Another quick question. I have equal amounts of track types should I go with the kind that comes in Thomas sets (with black roadbed) or the other with grey roadbed?

BillingsRR

In TTTE the roadbed is normally grey, so if you would like it as accurate as possible, go with grey.

TheJJ

TheJJ

Sorry for the double post (Sparks I have learned not to double post though) but after those questions they bring me back to my first question should I have 7 stalls in Tidmouth or have 12 stalls? 12 will fit all my engines but 7 would be TV accurate.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: JJ96 on January 08, 2011, 03:51:42 PM
Sorry for the double post (Sparks I have learned not to double post though) but after those questions they bring me back to my first question should I have 7 stalls in Tidmouth or have 12 stalls? 12 will fit all my engines but 7 would be TV accurate.
Six or seven stalls is good. Thomas, Percy, and Toby have their sheds at Ffarquhar, Edward, Bill, Ben and BoCo presumably have sheds on the branch lines, and then there's the Vicarstown Sheds as well as the mainline engines shed at Tidmouth (Sheds).

Season 8+ though, I'd say go for 7 stalls since 12 stalls can take up a lot of space.  :)

TheJJ

Ok but I thought before Toby came to Sodor he had his own shed and in the episode when Toby finds the old mine and castle he had his own shed (sorry I forgot the name) he also had his own shed in Tram Trouble.

branmas

i would go with 12, because Donald and Douglas have made many appreancences in the sheds, same with duck and Oliver(if they are made), so basically, i would go with 12.

TheJJ

I will consider both options. But right now I'm thinking of the 7 and I will buy a non-Thomas (regular) shed I saw at my local hobby shop it holds three engines so that will be enough for D&D and another engine.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: JJ96 on January 08, 2011, 05:02:00 PM
Ok but I thought before Toby came to Sodor he had his own shed and in the episode when Toby finds the old mine and castle he had his own shed (sorry I forgot the name) he also had his own shed in Tram Trouble.
In the Railway Series, all three engines share a shed at the end of Thomas' branch line, and Daisy stays in the carriage shed with Annie, Clarabel and Henrietta. It was still like this in Thomas and Victoria. The TV series abandoned this idea after Season 2 sadly. It was a very good idea and gave the mainline engines more room. :)

Up to you at this point though.

branmas

Quote from: JJ96 on January 08, 2011, 05:02:00 PM
it's called "Toby's discovery".