News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

outside

Started by willis, January 08, 2011, 05:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willis

hi all,
just wondering, has anyone used On3o in a garden RR?
i have seen where O has been used, not common but has been done.
thanks, willis.

Jim Banner

I have seen H0 used successfully outdoors but not at ground level.  I don't see why 0n30 wouldn't do just as well.  Two of the owner's secrets were to solder all the track joints and keep the layout out of direct sunlight.

Outdoor large scale railroading can be bad enough at ground level.  The trains have to survive leaves, bugs, twigs and occasionally land mines left by passing dogs.  Being 30 to 60 times as heavy as H0 or 0n30 trains, they usually manage to stay on the rails despite these hazards.  Two or three feet above ground, the worst of these hazards do not exist, unless you have a particularly large dog.  And if the size of your layout is proportional to the scale,  you will have only about 20% as much area to keep clear of the few leaves, twigs etc. that are not blown away by the wind.

Then there is viewing distance.  Large scale garden layouts are usually viewed from around 10 feet which is not a problem with the larger details involved.  In 0n30, the details are smaller so they need to be seen from closer up to be appreciated.  This again suggested an elevated layout, much as we would use indoors.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

bobwrgt

Sounds like a good idea. I have set up my HO trains on the deck for a few days with no problem.. I had a garden railroad for 15 years with 95ft of track in the back yard.
Ho track is not made with UV protected plastic. I have taken unprotected plastic and spray painted it with good results. You would have to paint the plastic ties or roadbed for long term use in the sun.

Bob

darryl1936

I have used Peco HO track outdoors and it is UV protected.  Never a problem.  Might help when using other brands to put a thin strip of tape on the rails then spray with UV coating. Remove the tape and that's it.

TOF

willis

thanks all,  just an idea that's bouncing around in my head :-\.
willis.