Royal Blue set won't run with passenger car

Started by nospoonguy, January 09, 2011, 01:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nospoonguy

Just bought an N scale Royal Blue set from Model Train Stuff and it runs fine except when one of the two passenger cars is on the track. Track is fine. Locos (also others) run good, but with any train, any loco, any other cars, putting this one passenger car anywhere on the track stops the train! It seems to be 'closing the circuit'.(?) Any ideas?
By the way, I'm new here so I'll say hello. I'm Jeff from PA. Had N scale since 1977 but it sat in a box from 1987 until before this past holiday. I've learned what little I know the hard way, setting up and figuring out what doesn't work. Thanks for any help with this latest problem.

jbsmith

If these are built like the HO Spectrum Heavyweights,
I had a similar problem with my Heavies.
Turned out it had something to do with the wheels.
Put the wheels in the truck one way all is well.
But if ONE axle is put in the wrong way, all goes dead, as if the the axles/wheels are polarized or something.
The fun part is,,,is it just one axle or all that is in the wrong way.
I found this out when, long story made short, an axle/wheel came out of the truck.
I put it back in and,,,,no go. >:(
took it out flipped the axle around and reinstalled and that time it worked.
Worth a shot.
Otherwise i would contact the service dept.

nospoonguy

Thanks for the info, I'll try it. Going to give Bachmann service a call tomorrow too since the set is brand new.

railsider

Trouble-shooting suggestion: (you will need a simple Volt-Ohmmeter, a.k.a. multimeter, which you should have anyway, but can get for about $10 more or less, from a hobby shop, radio shop, hardware store or on line)  If that one car is the problem, check continuity* between all left and all right wheels ... or set it on a single piece of track and check the two rails.

*"Check continuity" is electronics-speak for reading the resistance -- using the ohm-meter section of the multimeter -- and getting a reading of zero ohms, or very close to zero. It simply means that, yes, there is a short circuit between this point and that point.

If the trucks are metal, and one of the wheelsets is reversed, the truck willl certainly become that conducting path. Look at each wheelset (that is, an axle with a wheel on each end a pointy pivots that it spins on) and you will see an insulating ring inside one wheel. All of these rings should be on the same side, left or right, so there is no short circuit.

This is quicker than sending the train back to Philadelphia, although they will fix it, you can be sure. The cost for a meter is about the same, or maybe less, than the repair charge, and you'll have the meter for future use.

Alternatively, if you are part of a local model train club (highly recommended if available!), ask one of the guys to help you.

nospoonguy

One wheelset on one truck on this car has no insulator at all. On other cars that work, each wheelset has an insulator and insulators are both on the same side, alternating sides on each truck. I think I'm missing an insulator. Haven't gotten the meter yet but contacted Bachmann service and they also told me to check the insulators. I didn't know then that one was missing. Will get back to Bachmann service and arrange to send back or have them send me a new truck or two. Thanks for the help. Obviously members here know their stuff!

nospoonguy

Should have posted this earlier. Within 2 days of contacting Bachmann support, Laura e-mailed me that she would send me a couple of sets of trucks. She did; I had them in a day or two; problem solved! Good customer service by Bachman! Thanks to them!

NarrowMinded

I had a ON30 mining car that did the same thing, one axle had A short to both wheels. The hobby shop where I bought it gave me a new set of wheels.

also make sure one truck did not get turned aroung the wrong way, if thats possible with your car.

NM