News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Amtrak Diesel Engines

Started by dpkopp, January 09, 2011, 07:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpkopp

I am trying to decide which Amtrak engine to get between a Bachmann Spectrum, an Athearn P-40, or a Kato F40PH.  Needs to be DCC equipped or ready.  I bought a set of Con-Cor Amtrak cars for cheap and really want a strong and smooth engine to pull them.

Len

For the Con-Cor cars, you might also want to look at the Walthers Trainline F40PH locos. They're not DCC ready, but it's not all that difficult to hardwire a Digitrax DH123 or TCS M1 decoder in to them. They're available in Phase-III and Phase-IV paint schemes. Once broken in, they are very rugged, very reliable runners, with enough weight to pull more passenger cars than I can fit on my layout. Even without DCC, I've been able to get mine to creep at roughly 3-ties a minute.

The item numbers are:

931-335 Amtrak F40PH (Ph-IV)
931-337 Amtrak F40PH (Ph-III) (Advance reservation, due in 15 Feb 11)

There's also a GP9m available in the correct Amtrak switcher scheme for a coach yard, and a 'never happened, but looks cool' Ph-III paint job:

931-131 Amtrack GP9m (Switcher Scheme)
931-123 Amtrack GP9m (Ph-III)

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

dpkopp

I found this on a google search and looks like a good deal. It has a MRC decoder installed already. This should work with my EZ Command DCC set right?

Amtrak #303 (Phase III) Powered w/DCC Decoder, Walthers Trainline

Len

Yes, that F40PH should work fine with your EZ-Command system.

From the description is sounds like MRC did a special deal with Walthers Trainline to get a bunch of those locos and put their decoders in them as some kind of promotional deal.
The loco is a good one, just don't forget to lube it periodically per the instructions. Can't say one way or the other about the MRC decoder without knowing specifically which one they installed.

It's best to break in the Trainline locos by running them forward for 1/2hr or so, then run them in reverse for the same time. Change the speed after 10 minutes or so while doing this. They're very smooth runners once broken in.

Len

mlrr

I agree with Len.

I would like to ask you though, what time period would you like to model or does it matter?  The F40 has been decommissioned for almost ten years now.  The P40 is ubiquitous in Amtrak's system (phase V) today. 

I am surprised that you opted for the Con-cor superliners.  They ARE very forgiving as they rarely derail unless you have track that has not been completely joined at the rail joiners. 

I started off with Con-cor superliners (having been the only available models on the market at the time) and slowly made the transition over to the more accurate Walthers cars.  I still have my con-cor superliners though but they're still stored at my parents' house in the attic.  I think for sentimental reasons, I'll likely hold onto them.

~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com

Len

There is one thing you have to watch with the Walthers 85ft Amtrak cars, they are 24in radius, minimum.

When they first came out the boxes were marked 22in radius minimum, but they had problems with even with 22in curves. So the next run the boxes were marked 24in radius minimum, and they work fine on 24in curves.

Being able to handle 18in radius curves is the the one big thing going for the Con-Cor, IHC (if you can find them), and Athearn passenger cars. And by replacing the wheels with Intermountain 36in metal wheels, it's very easy to add a Miniatronics (Walthers: 475-100YCL01) light kit to the Con-Cor  cars.

Len

dpkopp

I went with the Con-Cor's because of the small radius they can run and the fact I got 11 of them, 8 superliners and 3 baggage cars for $50 on EBAY.

Thanks for the good info on the break in procedure, wheel sets, and lighting kits. I need to order that engine now.

atari

Can you run the Concors on 18" r track?

Len

Yes, the Con-Cor cars handle 18in radius very well. The under body isn't completely accurate, but it allows enough swing to the trucks to let them get around the 18in curves.

One caveat though, if you have any 'S' curves include a straight section at least as long as one car between the curves that make up the 'S'. Otherwise the trucks on connecting cars will be trying to swing in opposite directions at the same time, and at least one of them will probably jump the track.

Len

bmjcook

Quote from: dpkopp on January 09, 2011, 07:15:46 AM
I am trying to decide which Amtrak engine to get between a Bachmann Spectrum, an Athearn P-40, or a Kato F40PH.  Needs to be DCC equipped or ready.  I bought a set of Con-Cor Amtrak cars for cheap and really want a strong and smooth engine to pull them.

Gidday
                           I would go with the Kato
                                                                   Cookie             

mlrr

My walthers Amfleets handle 22" radius curves quite well.  At one time they were operating when the maximum radius on my layout was slightly above 18".

I don't disagree with Walthers' decision to up the disclaimer as far as minimum radius goes.

In answer to your original question, in all honesty (and it pains me to say this), out of the three locos you've listed; despite being a good runner, the Bachmann Spectrum F40 is probably the least accurate representation of the respective prototype.  Kato is closer but not spot on.  I believe there's a consensus that Walthers (or maybe lifelike) have come the closest to representing the F40.

If you're modeling anything after 1994 (Phase III or higher), go with the P40.
~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com

Billm10454

If you are planning on adding sound in the future go with the Kato. Digitrax has a sound decoder that is a drop in for the Kato. I put one in a Bachman F40 and it sounds great, but it wasn't an easy thing to do.

jward

having kept logbooks of locomotive sightings, i can offer the following:

in pittsburgh, and in particular on the pennsylvanian, the f40phs were in use until about 1998-1999. although the p40s first came out in about 1993-1994, they were only a small ripple in the sea of f40phs. during this period, if you saw a p40, it often had an f40ph with it and they seemed to stay on the long distance trains. this started to change in late 1996 when the "second wave" the p42s, arrived. these were similar to the p40s but slightly more powerful. these locomotives are the ones that seriously started putting the f40phs out of work. the "third wave" around 2001 finished the job, not only bumping the last f40phs to the sidelines but the original p40s as well. i haven't seen a p40 in service in years.

that said, with my son being a huge amtrak fan, we have both an athearn p40 and a walthers f40ph. the walthers unit is a gutsy little puller. during tests, it easily took 14 cars up a 4% grade. we ran out of cars to put behind it......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

r0bert

If you really want to go nutz,
Atlas has the dash 8s due out again shortly

dpkopp

I ordered the Walthers but that Atlas will probably get purchased too!