News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotive Derailing

Started by Cody J, January 09, 2011, 12:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody J

I have recently ballasted my track and was running my Bachmann DC B23-7 on the layout just to test everything out since it is my most inexpensive locomotive. I was running with a couple of cars I don't use either. When the locomotive (heading forward) gets to a curve in the traffic the front axle derails but only sometimes and it only derails going one way. If I reverse the locomotive all 3 axles go over the point fine but the last axle (the same as the earlier first axle) derails. The cars do not derail either.

I have looked at everything on and around the track that could be causing the derail but have found nothing that has worked.

Are there any solutions to this problem?

Thanks,
Cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

bobwrgt

If you are using knuckle couplers with pin hanging down see if they are centered or low dragging.

jward

you didn't tell us......

did this locomotive run well before you ballasted the track? have you tried any other locomtives to see if they derail at the same spot?

if the answer to the above is no, and yes respectively, and you've checqued the wheel guage and adjusted the coupler trip pins......

there is one other thing you could try that often work for me on bachmann locomotives. unlike most if not all other manufacturers, bachmann diesels have a screw that tightens the bolsters. to access these screws ( one per truck) you'll have to first remove the fuel tank (2 screws).... under the fuel tank cover there are two more screws that hold the body on, remove these and the body as well. the front bolster screw is located on the metal weight at the cab end of the locomotive, to acces the screw for the rear truck you'll have to remove the light board. it will be under this board  under the "wings" at the rear of the body. whichever truck is giving you trouble, loosen that bolster screw by 1/4 to 1/2 turn to loosen the truck. put the locomotive back together and see if this improves things.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Cody J

I got it all figured out, Bob was right, I think. I used a screw driver to hammer in a screw that might have been obstructing and it works fine now but I really don't think that could have been causing it.

Thanks!
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/