News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switch Wiring

Started by williac0, January 09, 2011, 04:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williac0

I recently ordered "Your First Railroad Tack Pack" to go with some EZ Track and train that I already had.  This pack came with turnouts.  I am very inexperienced and have never actually connected turnouts before but it didn't appear to be difficult.  I tried to wire them up but I am not getting them to work. 
Here is what I tried to do.  I ran the red terminal wire from the AC connectors of the transformer to the 3 prong input in the middle of the switch.  I then ran the green wire from the turnout to the two-prong connector on the side of the switch.  But nothing happens.  I took a volt meter and checked everything.  I am getting juice from the transformer and juice at the three-prong input of the switch.  But there is nothing at either of the other two outputs of the switch.  If I run the terminal wire to the two-prong connector on the side of the switch then I get juice out the other side of the switch, which is a different kind of two prong connector, but I don't get anything on the 3 prong connector.
So, what am I missing?  I was assuming the 3 prong connector in the middle is an input but is that not correct?
Thanks in advance.

trainman1248

red goes to 2 prongs
green goes to 3 prongs

williac0

Thanks for the help. I thought I had tried that but I just tried it again and that solved my problem.  Thanks again.

trainman1248

the reason it didn't work the way you had it was because you weren't powering the center wire witch is always hot. what changes the direction are the 2 outer ones.

so if you look at it this way 1,2 is left and 2,3 is right 1,3 dose nothing because 2 is not powered.

your welcome it took me a little bit to get used to it and i guarantee as i add more ill have more questions.