News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Russian Decapod Sound Issues

Started by DrW, January 09, 2011, 09:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrW

The non-sound version of the Russian Decapod that I had now for about 4 years (which was converted to DCC) runs very well.  Recently, I acquired two copies of the DCC/sound version.  They both have a rather pronounced background "whine" coming from the sound system (it is absent when I turn of the sound).  My Spectrum 2-8-0 (w/ sound) does not have this problem.  Is there anybody who encountered this problem before, and is there a solution?

Many thanks for any help you can give

Joachim

Jim Banner

DrW,
Does the whine disappear when you turn off the head and tender lights with the function 0 button?  (That would be the function 10 button if you are using an E-Z Command.)  If so, the whine you hear is the dynamo, the steam turbine driven electrical generator used to run the lights.

If that is what you are hearing, it is possible to shut it off or turn down its volume relative to the other sounds, but only if you have a DCC system that can program CVs.  The instructions are in the sound manual that came with your locomotive.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

mabloodhound

Others have also commented about this.   It's the dynamo like Jim said.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

DrW

Thank you for your help; it was the dynamo.  For the Bachmann Tsunamis, the dynamo is actually not switched on/off with the headlights (F0), but has its own function key (F5).

Anyway, it is working like a charm now.  Again, thanks for the help.

Joachim