News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

couplers

Started by tender1, January 10, 2011, 11:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tender1

Engine couplers and car couplers not lineing up. Height wise any thoughts, it is a Bachman train set.
Thanks. 

jonathan

T1,

Easiest and most economical fix is to get a set of kadee fiber washers from a Hobby Store.  You can place the washers between the trucks and body of your rolling stock to adjust the height. 

Locomotives are a little trickier.  Ther are couplers available where the knuckle sits high, medium, or low on the coupler shank.

These are commons fixes for adjusting coupler heights so everything lines up nicely.

If your set is older, and has truck mounted couplers (talgo), that's a different can of worms.

Regards,

Jonathan

MR536

"If your set is older, and has truck mounted couplers (talgo), that's a different can of worms."

I have the Thunderbolt set that was manufactured in 1995 and yes...now having all sorts of problems keeping the rolling stock on the tracks. The tracks I am using do very well....but then there is the 18 degree turns.....nuts....always falling off

The Locomotive (SF GP40) has the Horn Couplers as do all the rolling stock..is there anyway of replacing the entire sets?  Do I need to also change the wheels to accomodate using lets say the EZMate style?  

Regards

Marvin

jonathan

Marvin,

At this point you'll need to ask yourself how much sentimental value is in your train set.

I have some rolling stock that means a lot to me for familial reasons.  I have pulled off the old trucks, filled in the holes with some sort of dowel, and drilled new holes and replaced the old trucks with new ones.  This also involves adding coupler boxes and new couplers which are mounted on the car body.  My experience has been 'fixing' old Mantua cars. The cost can be more than buying new rolling stock.  I don't have the set you are referring to, so I couldn't tell you how easy or hard this would be for your set. 

Do you have sharp "S" curves on your layout? This could also be a problem.

Regards,

Jonathan

MR536

Jonathan

sharp "S" curves?  well not really sharp but 3 of them just the same.  The bodies on these cars are fairly simple...as for sentimental value...nah...just had these for a long time.  These cars were on another layout I had about 10 years ago but most of the time they were used as props...tried to get them in service but have had lots of problems...Bachmann replaced the Loco 2 months ago...told me they had to dig up a new one as the one I sent was too outdated..and they sent it back with the EZ Mate Couplers....best to find another set to use...this will be back as ornaments real soon.

Regards

Marvin