DCC Wireless Controller for Spectrum 4-4-0 & 2-8-2 (K27)

Started by Dave R, January 11, 2011, 04:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave R

I live in the UK, but despite my best attempts to get a definitive response here, need some help.

I have been given a Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 and a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-2 K27, but no instruction booklets, controllers or transformers. Both run on G-Gauge (I have quite a bit of LGB brass track), come with tenders and are DCC compatible. My problem is that I am completely new to model trains and no NOTHING about controllers.

I was wondering about a wireless digital controller? I am looking for a mid-range set-up and quite like the look of the Bachmann EZ Dynamis digital controller. The 36-505 looks like it would suit i.e. it is 2.5 amps and seems to come with a transformer, although I can't see the connecting clips.

My local retailer has suggested that I should establish both the operating current draw and the stall current for each of the above trains, i.e. how much current is the loco using when being operated at full throttle but the wheels aren't turning? Does anyone know these figures?

Does anyone have any views about the Dynamis controller? Would it work with my trains (I don't see why it shouldn't)? What are its limitations? And, importantly, what modifications or additional equipment- if any - would I need to make to my trains to ensure compatibility? If not the Dynamis, can anyone recommend an alternative?

Thanks
Dave R