DIY HORN / BELL ACTIVATION SWITCH

Started by 671, January 11, 2011, 10:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DOES ANYONE HAVE PLANS FOR A HORN / BELL ACTIVATION SWITCH TO BE USED INCONJUNTION WITH ZW 275? I WOULD LIKE TO BUILD IT MYSELF. WHAT ACTUALLY ACTIVATES THE HORN / BELL ELECTRICALLY. I AM AWARE OF SOME RECTIFIED DC. IS IT HALF WAVE -- FULL WAVE? WHAT ABOUT THE BELL ACTIVATION?

THANKS   671

phillyreading

A few years back Classic Toy Trains mag(try www.classictoytrains.com and go on the forum, maybe somebody remebers that article) had an article on how to make a whistle control out of six or seven diodes and have a small switch inside the unit to control it. I don't remeber what year that was.

Lee F.

GTBob

Do a search for "Heavy Duty Bell Button."  I think Joe Satnik gave really good "do it yourself" directions on building one...

Cheers and Welcome ,'

Bob
"If a man does his best, what else is there!"--General George S. Patton Jr.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

The Zollo article gives a nice start. 

Unfortunately, the experimenter's box is no longer available, and the SPDT switch is rated 3 amps (6 amps would be better).

Gotta shop around, I guess. (Digi-Key, Mouser, Newark, e-bay, etc.)   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

FYI

When I went to Radio Shack for the parts for the bell button the guy there thought that I was trying to build a cable box to rip-off the cable company. So I brought the article in from my car on how to build the whistle button and he behaved better and helped me.
You may want to explain what you are doing, because there are some people into electronic theft that use parts from Radio Shack and other places.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

Dear Lee,

Wouldn't a 75 ohm splitter work better for that?   Ask him if he wants to stop selling those.....

Joe

phillyreading

Quote from: Joe Satnik on January 14, 2011, 01:59:19 PM
Dear Lee,

Wouldn't a 75 ohm splitter work better for that?   Ask him if he wants to stop selling those.....

Joe

Dear Joe,

Either a 50 or 75 ohm splitter would do the job.  Don't have a chance to ask him, as I forgot which Radio Shack store that was at.

Lee F.