Use of US motorized products(e.g. Diesel engines/locomotives, etc. in Germany

Started by PHILPBN, January 11, 2011, 12:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHILPBN

Whew, what a topic description!  Folks, my grandson is showing interest in HO trains....neat......

My situation is this:  Living in Germany presents a different power source than found in the US.  At 220V50Hz is the common source.  So, does anyone know if the product (powered items like diesels, other "engines") motors (120V @ 60Hz I think) can somehow be modified to "work with local German power source"?  Swapping out shells with German HO products sold can be expensive.  I thank you in advance for any and all thoughts and solutions. 

richg

If the locos require 12 volts DC for power, not a problem. Just make sure the power pack is capable of using 240 VAC.
Some switching power packs will work on 120 VAC and 240 VAC with no modification. Check the label.
The power packs are labeled with the mains VAC they can handle.
You may need an adapter for the power pack AC cord because wall outlets on that side of the "Pond" are different from the wall outlets on this side of the "Pond".
All power packs I have ever seen show the VAC info on the case and usually in the advertising for the product.

Rich

poliss

US HO locomotive motors use 12v DC the same as Trix or Fleischmann.
Any standard European 12v DC controller will operate US HO locomotives.
Only the Marklin or other 3 rail 16v AC controllers will be unsuitable.

European mains electricity is now 230 volts AC at 50 Hertz.

richg

Power packs that can operate on 120 and 230 can use 50 hz and 60 hz.

Rich

bobwrgt

You can use any power pack that puts out 0-12 or 15 volt DC current. Piko, Liliput, Roco, Hornby, or Fleischmann should work. This is for DC operation of US Ho engines.

Bob

Stephen D. Richards

If that doesn't work, try a step down transformer.  I lived in Japan for four years and that was what I had to do with all my US electrical products except the wall transformers for computers etc.  They could handle the current.  Hope that helps.  Stephen

richg

Below is one example on how to find answers like this. The Tiny URL is from a site that shrinks the size of the URL.
Store the links you like in Favorites.

By the way, there are many modelers in Europe and other countries who model US railroads with US made trains. I know Bachmann sells across the "Pond". That is the reason Bachmann puts capacitors and inductors on the PC board in their DCC locos.

http://tinyurl.com/6cvwes5

Rich

PHILPBN

I sincerely thank all who provided me viable information regarding my predicament.  My grand baby will think "Opa" is a genius  ;) :) ;) :)