News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bridge and Trestle Piers

Started by LGBfan17, January 12, 2011, 01:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LGBfan17

What is the height of the tallest pier in #42523 (Graduated Trestle Set) and #44871 (14-piece Graduated Pier Set)?  Also, what is the increment from one pier to the next in each set?

I'm trying to build a setup for twice around with up-and-over using E-Z Track.

ACY

The 16-Piece Graduated Pier Set is best suited for HO, and is listed as an HO scale item. The Graduated Trestle Set while an N scale item is not ideal because when used as directed it makes the grades around 4%, which is too much for most entry level N scale locomotives. If your loco can make it up, it will only be able to pull a couple cars, without a multiple unit consist of 3 or 4 locos geared similarly.

DanielSan

Well, I have a 16 piece N scale graduated pier set made by Bachmann that snaps to EZ track and it works pretty well. True, it renders an approximate  4% grade and my 0-6-0 loses traction rather than powering out with more than two cars, adding weight to loco helps. My Spectrum SD45 walks up the grade with over ten cars at 40%  throttle on an 11.25" radius curve. These locos are fairly inexpensive so perhaps an upgrade is worth considering. A cool up & over layout can be made using 13 5" straights and 24 5" 11.25 radius curves and it fits in 2 1/2 x 4 feet.