News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smoke don't come out of the stack

Started by Heinz D, January 31, 2012, 07:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinz D

Hi
on my industrial Mogul the smoke of the smoker is staying inside the smoke box. If I remove the stake, the smoke comes out strong, but I put back the stack in his hole the smoke stays inside the smoke box. What can I do?

Heinz

Tom Lapointe

If it's actually generating smoke, at least it's OK electrically (especially if you run DCC like I do, they do eventually burn out). :o  The smoke unit is designed to "wick" the fluid up from the reservoir; sometimes it can get clogged.  :-\  Fortunately, the "cure" is simple enough  ;) - with the smoke unit operating, trying blowing sharply straight down the stack.  I've often found that will clear the clog, & the loco will smoke considerably better. :D  You may also wish to consider trying a different type of smoke fluid.  :)  Hope that helps!  ;)  Tom

Heinz D

Thank you Tom for the answer,

of corse the smoke unit is operating by the DCC decoder - what else? I actaully use a Zimo decoder with modulating heat voltage. The voltage change if the engine ist waiting, speed up or idling with constant speed. The Zimo decoder has a timer programmable by a CV adress for prevent the burn out of smoker. The smokeunit is well smoking if I pull out the stack through the hole in top of the smoke box. If I push back the stack in his hole, the smoke stay in the smoke box. A little bit of smoke comes out on the bottom of the smoke box. If I'm blowing into the stack a cloud of smoke leaves the smokebox below the bottom, but no smoke on the place where he should leave the stack.

I was testing with the smoke fluid from Seuthe, Magic smoke and SR 24 these 3 fluids are on stoke in Europe. I see no difference by my problem.

It' is not the smoke unit that don't work it's the small hole through the stack which stops the smoke
Heinz

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Heinz D

Yes, the genuine stack has an edge of 90°. I've made a phase of 45°, but hasn't helpfull. I think the best way is to hit the Venturi geometrie of the inner side of the stack. See Wikipedia below Venturi. Each carburator of a car has a venturi tube inside.

I've beginning to make my own smoke stack on mi lathe, but maybe another one have a better idea.

Heinz

Heinz D

I've finished now my own smoke stack. The hole has 10% more diameter, but the smoke don't leave the stack really good. It's a little bit better as with the genuine stack, but it's only a little fog not a smoke like it does without a stack.

Has somebody another idea to bring the smoke out of the stack?

Heinz